Macbook Pro not sleeping on low battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Win^, May 15, 2010.

1. Win^ macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Does anyone else have this problem?

Basically my i5 15" MBP will run the battery right down till it switches off without sleeping. Then it will have to be charged till it switches on again, and it boots up fresh.

Win^

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check System Preferences > Energy Saver > Settings for: Battery

3. Win^ thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything's default and ticked in there.
    Thought the sleep thing on low battery was already a default thing and can't be changed.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if you change "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for:" to "Never"

5. Win^ thread starter macrumors newbie

10 minutes.

6. jgauld1 macrumors newbie

7. blackwind macrumors regular

I also made a thread about that. My i7 the same shut down on 1% battery. where my niese's 13" 2009 sleep almost 1hr-2hr before battery completely gone.

There another thread was somewhere in this forum. Couldnt find. Other members who had 2010 mbp also experineced the same problem.

I am not worrying about it, coz when i first got it it has 94% of battery. after doing afew calibration my battery now is 100%. So i think it the same. but just somehow we dont see it sleep.

Once it shut down. if u press on battery indicator on the side of ur mbp u see the green light on the last bar flashing.

Hopefully the new software will fix it

Cheers

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

This drove me crazy forever, but there is an easy fix. It's due to a very, very stupid design decision by Apple.

Anyway, you need to have "Show battery status in menu bar" selected in the Energy Saver system preference for the error to show up and the Mac to go to sleep down properly.

(This should do it unless you have additional hardware issues.)

Good luck.

9. killerbuzz macrumors newbie

funny thing i was trying this thing with my macbook pro 17 i7 and I removed the battery indicator because I have istat battery which looks a lot nicer. and I started having this issue without any low battery alarm, the system just shuts down without any warning.

I'll try putting the indicator back and I hope I will get the alarm and the system to go to sleep.

10. JustMack macrumors member

I also have this problem. I have reseted the PRAM and NVRAM, and i'm now 2 minutes or 1% away from a dead battery and yet no force sleep...

Anyone have a fix? Solution? MBP is a few days old.

11. bigredscowboy macrumors newbie

bumping this because its November and I still have this problem. Multiple searches have produced nothing (and I've always had battery status in the menu bar)

12. okyanet macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same problem. MacBookPro5,3 - 15". I haven't been able to calibrate my battery for months now, as it reaches the '0:02 remaining' point and directly switches off.

When I plug in to the mains and boot up again, I find my system clock reset and have to re-enter my wifi password (normally saved).

My guess is that because the battery is not calibrated the power runs down and completely finishes, while the system still thinks there is several minutes charge remaining. Is there any way to get around this and force battery calibration?

13. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I agree with the above poster. It sounds like you need to do a battery calibration.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: