MacBook Pro not turning on right...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emilyanne1988, Aug 17, 2013.

1. emilyanne1988 macrumors newbie

I have had this macbook for years. I'd say i got it in 2007. Its the aluminum body model. I have gotten the screen replaced on it and bought a new battery for it. It needs the CD/DVD drive replaced but i've done fine with out it. It has been a fine computer with minimal issues until now.

This morning I woke up and opened my laptop to work and the screen wouldn't come on. I always leave my computer on just plugged into the charger. When the screen is open, I notice the little light that is on the button I push to release the screen to open is dim, like it would be if it was asleep and closed. When i close the laptop, the light lights up really bright like the computer is running like it normally would with the screen open.

I tried pushing control, apple, power button to restart it. Nothing. I tried pressing shift within 10 seconds after turning it back on. Nothing. Checked the battery life and it's fine. Took the battery out for a minute, put it back in and restarted and nothing. I hooked up another screen to the laptop and got nothing on the other screen when it was closed. I am also not hearing any start up sounds or any of the normal clicking noise when i press the brightness button up or the sound up.

It's like the computer is in perpetual sleep mode or something. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do, I would greatly appreciate some help. I am really at a loss here. :(

2. mykem macrumors regular

My best guess would be the Graphic Card is toasted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I don't know if the free replacement program is still in effect (mine went dead 3 years ago and was replaced at no cost). I would still give Apple or the the store you bought the MBP a call and see what they can do.