MacBook Pro not turning on...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmcarp83, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jmcarp83 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking it's my logic board, which makes me want to cry but what can ya do?

It worked fine last night. I got home from work and the light comes on in the front but screen is black, no keyboard lights, no sound, very, very hot bottom by the battery. There's no start up sound but rather it sounds like it's in sleep mode...even after I hold down power button to turn off.

Generally, how much am I looking at to replace a logic board at the apple store vs authorized retailer? And if I decide to not replace it and slowly die in another MacBook purchase...can I recover anything from my HD? I'm two months behind on backing it up and of course...most impt things are on it now.

Sadly, my warranty went out Dec 29 (apple care).

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Before you look at replacing the logic board, check the battery and try a different one first. Since you mention the bottom of the laptop is really warm, it could be a shot battery. how old is it?

3. jmcarp83, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

jmcarp83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery was replaced jan of 2011. Now I saw something about early Mbp from 2008 having issues With turning on? But I dunno. http://support.apple.com/kb/Ts2377 this just ruins my weekend. Lol

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Bring it to apple... as the link you posted indicates, the warranty for this particular issue was extended to four years.