Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Belfast
It’s been around a month since I turned on my personal MacBook. (2019 15” model).

I opened it as normal and nothing happened. Plugged the charger in and tried to click, hit space bar and the power button repeatedly for around an hour.

I then attempted all troubleshooting including SMC reboot and connecting different power adaptors / chargers.

The most unusual symptom was the click of the laptop didn’t sound as expected. It felt “broken”. I’ve never dropped the laptop, and it’s kept away in a case.

Any ideas on fixing this?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Without knowing more about your specific situation and use patterns, two things first come to mind:
  1. The MacBook battery discharged to such a low level during the period of non-use that it no longer can hold any charge.
  2. Apple's touchpads don't physically move up and down anymore. When the touchpad senses downward pressure from your hand, a vibration generator (or for those technically inclined, a linear actuator) creates the "click" you feel. So if your Mac can't boot or even start up, you won't feel any response to pressing the touchpad.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Might be time to take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store genius bar, if you have one within reasonable distance...

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
This is a key combination you can use to wakeup the mac. This happened to me and a few other I know. I assumed the mac was DOA. Surfing the net I found at 3 or 4 keyboard keys to hold down while trying to boot. That has worked on at least 3 macs I tried it on. I do not remember the key combination, try to google it.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
dont press the space bar, if anything use the option key or option r only
sometime pressing the power button for 10 seconds helped my situation many times while other's macbooks
but this was before 2019

midouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Belfast
Unfortunately I’ve exhausted all of these options. Is there any further troubleshooting? Should I leave it on the charge for a full day, etc?

midouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Belfast
The last option I've tried is a DFU revive.

Power + CTRL + OPT + Right shift

Device appears in Apple Configurator sometimes, not always.

Select revive and wait then keep getting same error code:

Gave up waiting for device to transition from DFU state to DFU state. [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0xFA5 (4005)]

midouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Belfast
I also get this message:

Unexpected device state 'DFU' expected 'Recovery' (Probably forced into DFU mode externally) [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0xFAE (4014)]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 23.47.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 23.47.01.png
    972.6 KB · Views: 291

R.T.J.

Suspended
Jun 3, 2021
Leave it charging for about 3 days, the same thing happens to me with an iPad 4 when I do not use it for a month, I need to plug it for days and the battery takes about a week to gain 100% back again.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Once more, I'll repeat:
If it' still under warranty,
and...
If you're in reasonable distance from a brick-n-mortar Apple Store,
then...
Make an appt for the genius bar and take it to them.

Reactions: midouglas

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Ever figure this out? I am having the same issue with a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports).

The MBP appears dead (i.e. no sound, no display/Touch Bar, no lights), although, I can activate DFU. Using Apple Configurator v2.15.1, both Revive and Restore commands end with:
Restoring System on device
Step 4 of 4: Installing System
The System cannot be restored on this device.
Gave up waiting for device to transition from DFU state to DFU state. [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0xFCA (4042)]

From research, I am understanding the problem is the Mac's unable to transition from DFU to Recovery mode to complete the process — which does somewhat make sense because the Mac is not able to boot (properly).

EDIT: Corrected, MBP appears dead except for DFU.

Last edited:

wheelswithwings

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
Ever figure this out? I am having the same issue with a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports).

The MBP no longer appears dead (i.e. no sound, no display/Touch Bar, no lights), although, I can activate DFU. Using Apple Configurator v2.15.1, both Revive and Restore commands end with:

From research, I am understanding the problem is the Mac's unable to transition from DFU to Recovery mode to complete the process — which does somewhat make sense because the Mac is not able to boot (properly).
Hey, I see you also had this issue. It's a been a while since you posted. Have you found a solution? Thanks.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hey, I see you also had this issue. It's a been a while since you posted. Have you found a solution? Thanks.
Not yet. Thinking of disconnecting the battery, thinking it might be a more thorough reset beyond key combos. I realize it’s a shot in the dark, but I am low on ideas of how to get the MBP to boot beyond DFU.

aftershocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
It’s been around a month since I turned on my personal MacBook. (2019 15” model).

I opened it as normal and nothing happened. Plugged the charger in and tried to click, hit space bar and the power button repeatedly for around an hour.

I then attempted all troubleshooting including SMC reboot and connecting different power adaptors / chargers.

The most unusual symptom was the click of the laptop didn’t sound as expected. It felt “broken”. I’ve never dropped the laptop, and it’s kept away in a case.

Any ideas on fixing this?
Hi @midouglas,

I have the SAME issue as you... I put my computer to sleep... Left it for a month because I went on vacation.. Came back and hit the power button.. It woke up and I'm in the MacOS... But I noticed I had 2% battery left... So I plugged in the USB-C charger cable.. The icon did not indicate that it was charging. So I thought, maybe it need a reboot. At this time, the battery depleted to 1%... I rebooted, and the 'low battery' icon came up on the screen with the lightning bolt at the bottom... From there, it never came on again. I have a USB cable with a LED display that tells me how much watts is passing through. When I plug it into the Macbook Pro, it shows 1.5W.... Somehow it's not taking the charge... The whole computer is completely unresponsive..

I don't have any warranty left on this computer. I've taken it to the Apple store and they blamed it on the 'logic board'... And if I were to repair, it will cost $1050... Which makes no sense why I would spend that much on a 2 year old computer to fix... I'm shocked that it broke this quick...

Any updates on how you got it fixed?

Thanks.

ak-78

macrumors newbie
It's happened to my 2019 Macbook Pro 16". I's has issues under Monterey, for instance when I turn it off some times it rebooted and other times it showed black login login screen and won't accept password. Then I use to do some tricks by holding power button for ten seconds or reset PRAM or DFU mode and reboot and it allowed me to reset password and login into the MacOs. Yesterday I got tired of this and decided on update to Ventura, thinking it will also update T2 chip firmware, but I could upgrade or even clean install OS from usb stick. Nothing seems to work( no safe mode, no NVRAM reset, no Command (⌘)-R. Macbook pro won't restore in Apple configurator 2, giving error <waiting for device to transition from DFU state to DFU state. [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0xFCA (4042)]

midouglas

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2018
Belfast
I forgot to follow this up but Apple fixed this issue out of warranty, was pretty sound of them. Basically argued consumer law. It was out of warranty, but as consumer law protects you up to 6 years, they were happy to resolve it on this issue, but was noted as a 1 time free fix.

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
Turns out my screen got cracked some how. Do not know how. Apple says something must been between the screen and case when I closed. $927 without Apple care. My 37 year record of not buying apple care and never needing it has ended. I rationaized it this way, saved on AppleCare for 37 years. If I would have bought it would cost $400 plus $100 for the incident. Leaving $400. I am very careful now when I close it. My 2012 retina 15 in is still going strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.