Macbook Pro not turning on

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by captainalex, Dec 31, 2009.

1. captainalex macrumors newbie

My boyfriends macbook pro turned itself off, fully charged, when he was uploading photos. Now it will not turn on. He has held down the power button, pressed the battery button (no response) and unplugged the charger and plugged it into another power point. It's a brand new macbook, only a couple of months old, and he treats it like it's his baby. I think he's about to kill himself. Please, what can we do?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well, he doesn't need to kill himself.

Especially since this would still fall under warranty if it is indeed broken. In which you can easily take it to an Apple store, or call 1-800-APL-CARE, and they can help you.

I would recommend removing the battery, but since this sounds like the battery is sealed, you probably can't do that.

Does the green/amber light come on the power cord when you plug it into the macbook?

There are some other things to try here. All of which do not involve killing yourself.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Indeed. Also, some more info would be good - is it a unibody? Does it have an 8600GT? What was often done with the MBP?

At anyrate, does it even POST (i.e., make the bong sound?). If it doesn't POST, is there some sort of kernel panic message? It could be logic board failure, or (in one case I know about) the keyboard got corrupted and wasn't turning the machine on :eek:

And in the end, if you don't have the extended Applecare coverage, you should be able to buy it. And if for some reason if its past its date, or Apple doesn't want to fix it, you can always salvage the HDD and put it into a new machine.

BTW....
    [​IMG]

I would recommend using the report button on your post to contact a mod to move this to the correct forum. I'm not a stickler, but they should be able to help more then us desktop people can.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If he is indeed contemplating killing himself, you may find 1-800-273-TALK useful as well ;)

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It's always good to have options. It's not like they're married or anything......:D