MacBook Pro not waking properly after a dead battery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ltcol266845, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

So, back in the day, when my MacBook Pro's battery would die while asleep or on and you plug it back in, the laptop would essentially revive itself from your last used state. Its like waking from sleep, but takes longer because the computer has backup the memory state to the hard drive.

Its seems my MacBook Pro no longer does this. When the battery dies and I turn it on, it reboots.

I am not sure if it is related, but I have modified my MacBook Pro by removing the optical drive and replacing it with an 80GB Intel SSD to compliment the 500GB 7200rpm Seagate. The SSD is the boot disk and is in the DVD Drive's old spot.

Is there some settings I can get at to try and get this feature back up and running?

2. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Remove your charger, open a Terminal and run

Code:
    pmset -g live
    This will list whatever settings your machine uses while on battery. Somewhere in the list, there will be an entry marked "hibernatemode". For what you described, it should have a value of 3. If it doesn't, change it to 3:

Code:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3
    Also, the "hibernatefile" entry should be set to "/var/vm/sleepimage". Is it?

4. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, looks like the settings are correct...

Code:
    Active Profiles:
    Battery Power		-1*
    AC Power		-1
    Currently in use:
     halfdim	0
     sms		1
     hibernatefile	/var/vm/sleepimage
     gpuswitch	2
     disksleep	10
     sleep		15
     hibernatemode	3