Macbook pro now good enough for photoshop and 3D rendering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edwardish, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Edwardish macrumors newbie

Just wondering the new macbook pro now with 128 nvidia 8600 enough for photoshop and 3d rendering works? will up coming macbook pro with so call "quad core" improves the speed for rendering? or do i have to get another notebook with nvidia quodro FX to shorten rendering time as they were specific for CAD works? Anyone compared with nvidia geforce and nvidia quodro?

2. deltaiscain macrumors regular

the macbook pro's now have a 256 or 512 nvidia card, and they are good enough to run it. Also in a next version of Photoshop, they are going to include a new technology called gpu acceleration, which makes it even faster to edit images.

3. Gloor macrumors 6502a

If you have to ask then you don't need quattro. Also, if you do render a lot then you should know that rendering is CPU only. So, for a laptop purpose I think it's fine unless you want quad and in that case you might wanna look elsewhere as I don't think Apple will introduce quad in their next revision.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I ran Photoshop on an old G3 300mhz, a 5 yr old thinkpad and before all of those, on a Powermac 8500. Sure, Photoshop has gotten bigger and more powerful since then, but your MBP with 128 GPU should have no trouble with most of what you throw at it in the real world. There is always a more powerful machine out there, but it doesn't mean you can't get work done with what you've got. Otherwise, how the hell did we ever exist 10 years ago? Just match the right software with the machine, and you can run old computers and still do amazing things, if you have to. Some of the graphic design and photography and magazine design work we did over a decade ago was pretty damn sick, even by today's standards. So, keep it all in perspective.

Of course, all the latest, fastests CPSs and GPUs and hi-speed busses and super-fast HDs and gazillion GB ram will always perform operations faster. That's always going to be the case. So what? Is what you can get now able to do what you have to do, now? Then don't worry. Be happy. Get busy. :)

BTW, I've got the MBP SR model, 2.2 ghz with 2 mb ram and the 128 mb gpu. It works just fine. I love it, and don't even stop to think about what I could have instead. I just get stuff done!

5. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

working on a 100 mb, multilayer, multifiltered photoshop file at the moment. 8 other applications open too. Runs just great.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The previous ones where fine and the current ones are great.

Why would you think they weren't?

And if you are looking for the fastest render time then get off the laptop bandwagon.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I run CAD programs and Photoshop on a 1.83GHz Core Duo MacBook. The current MBPs are more than capable.

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Not sure what you mean by "now good enough"...they were always good enough, and so were the PowerBooks before them.

--Eric

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Excellent post! I've scored film music & edited short films on a Power Mac 120mhz machine w/ the stock a/v inputs juggling files between the 1.2 gb hd & 1 gb Jaz discs....and then upgraded w/ a 9gb Seagate drive for future music sessions. No problems whatsoever....and I'm talking 10-15 tracks of pure audio and MIDI. It wasn't fast but the job got done!

Modern Macs have mega firepower and you should have NO problem w/ photos, video or audio.

10. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Exactly. I am continually astounded by the astonishingly shortsighted questions in this vein I hear all the time.

"Is the new MBP capable of running software the machines with less than a twentieth the power were running a decade ago?"

What do you think?

And as said, if you need to ask about the FX5600, you don't need it.

11. snowden macrumors newbie

This should appear at the bottom of all threads...

Hell yeah... best reply EVER. The reply to end all replies.

12. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

im happily using my 12" (sig) PB with photoshop cs3 and leopard - its fine! looking forward to getting my new MB (with the money i save on MB - MBP im getting a new gaming pc haha) 1.33Ghz PB with 1.25Gb Ram will hopefully fetch me £400 so ill be halfway there! and i have a 15" PB too so im looking to swap them both anf get a new mb!

13. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

I have the latest version of Photoshop on a OLD (5 years) IBM Thinkpad runs on windows XP and it runs perfectly fine. Im planning on getting the Mac Version to installed on my Late 2008 MBP. Im sure there wont be any problems, since Im running it on an old computer with no problems...oh and the IBM only has 1gb of Ram, 80gb HDD and 1.53 ghz Processor