Macbook Pro now or after Lion? Delta?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by truz, Jun 19, 2011.

  1. truz macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #1
    So I'm in the market for a new Macbook Pro. I'm currently using a Macbook pro 2.16Ghz with 3GB ram and a 320GB 7200rpm drive. It's running quite slow as my old iMac 2.0 core duo with 2GB ram restarts in windows faster then my macbook pro can.

    I'm looking at the Macbook pro Core i7 2.2Ghz, 8GB ram, 500GB 7200rpm, anti glare(what I'm use to as my current mac is anti glare) $2500 with student discount.

    Should I order online now or wait until Lion is released? My biggest deal about this was having to restore/resetup my mac when Lion is released. SO I would rather wait until the final release so I only have to do this once. However when I was at the Apple Store on Friday one of the sales staff told me Snow Leopard to Lion is a Delta update. How true is this as I was quite shocked and thought it was total bull-$h1t when he told me.
     
  2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

    appleguy123

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Location:
    15 minutes in the future
    #2
    I think that Lion is a delta update to save on download time. Phil said that in the keynote.
     
  3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #3
    Your right based on what I know, it was done this way since as you've mentioned, it saves a lot of time. Especially considering there is no choice of physical media.
     
  4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2011
    Location:
    Berkeley, CA
  5. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #5
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will be ordering soon.
     
  6. King Apple macrumors regular

    King Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    #6
    I would wait until mid July, wouldn't you want lion already pre-installed on the laptop?
     
  7. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    Centre of the Attention
    #7
    I think you should hold out for a few more weeks, when Lion comes pre-installed with new Macs. But if you want your Mac right away, then go ahead, Lion is a decent update, though its quite cheap to upgrade later, so you won't be disappointed either way. :apple:
     
  8. AlanFord macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    Cro
    #8
    Why waiting.Everyone who order new mac after 6.6 have a free Lion update.
    So, buy it and enjoy it.
     
  9. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #9
    I like the idea of having it pre installed and knowing I won't have an issue as it's Apple Tested before shipped.

    If the hardware stays the same I'm fine with ordering now and upgrading later for free. I wish Apple would put USB 3.0 support. I would be quite disappointed if apple added any new hardware updates at the Lion release. such as graphics, memory, additional thunderbolt port, usb3 support.

    How long will this Student discount stay going for? I'm more interested in getting a $100 credit to purchase aperture 3 then getting Lion pre installed when I can download it for free.
     
  10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    #10
    I believe the $100 credit goes until early September. The student discount on actual hardware is permanent. Good choice using that for Aperture - it rocks IMHO :)
     
  11. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #11
    Because you have to be able to re-install the OS at some point from the recovery partition, I'm pretty sure they download the entire OS. It's only 4GB though, which is a lot smaller than Snow Leopard.

    The other issue however is the fact that some apps themselves may not be updated for Lion, but you'll have the option to continue using Snow Leopard otherwise. Especially apps like Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite take a while to get to full compatibility (I vividly remember the Spaces bug in Office 2004 and OS X Leopard which Apple didn't fix until OS X 10.5.2).
     
  12. stefmesman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2010
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #12
    are there any benefits in waiting till it comes pre-installed. it will be free upgrade if u buy now anyway...
     
  13. getz76 macrumors 6502a

    getz76

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Location:
    Hell, AL
    #13
    Wouldn't you want to buy now and have Snow Leopard as an option rather than being stuck with Lion?
     
  14. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #14
    I have a Snow Leopard install DVD so that is always an option ;)

     
  15. truz thread starter macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #15
    My biggest thing about waiting would only be for USB3 or a second Thunderbolt port. I will hookup to a external display when in my office and I may purchase a second display. I would like to be able to purchase a thunderbolt external hard drive but with 1 port and 2 external monitors I don't see this happening.

    I could settle with 1 thunderbolt and 1 or 2 usb3 ports. I like the idea of transferring files quickly. I don't understand why there is no usb3 support. Apple is always last to bring new technology (other than their own) to the mac.

    Only reason I may wait, is to see if usb3 is added.
     
  16. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #16
    You can't use a retail DVD to install Snow Leopard on a machine that is newer than the disc itself. There aren't any drivers and the OS will refuse to install. Sorry.
     
  17. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #17
    USB 3.0 support will be added with Intel's Ivy Bridge chipset next year. Apple doesn't want to spend the $15 it would cost for a 3rd party controller chip.
     
  18. Mal macrumors 603

    Mal

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Orlando
    #18
    The talk about Delta updates I only remember seeing with the iOS 5 announcement, and that would refer to the 5.x updates, not 5.0 itself, and not Lion.

    jW
     
  19. Julius Caesar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    #19
    So no hardware updates to the mbp to accompanying lion?
     
  20. blevins321 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2010
    Location:
    Winnipeg, MB
    #20
    Genuinely doubt it. Mac Pro and Mini are next in line.
     

Share This Page