MacBook Pro: Now or June 8th?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schlangy, May 10, 2009.

1. Schlangy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I finally have enough money saved up for a shiny new MacBook Pro, so should I buy it now? or wait and see if they update it, or release anything new on June 8th at their WWDC keynote?

Right now I'm running an iMac g5, that will definitely last another month, so I don't actually need the MacBook Pro right now

Thanks,
    Eric

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

At this point, unless you NEED the computer I think the standing advice for all Apple products is wait. If you can wait a month, wait... if not... buy.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

4. TheRekz macrumors regular

5. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Buy now...

If you are anything like me you can't wait so just buy it...:rolleyes:

PS I have just purchased an Aluminum MacBook and I will receive it on Thursday this week, can't wait.:D

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Normally I would say just go ahead but since it's less than a month away I would have to say just wait

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another vote for waiting. You are less than a month away, so unless you absolutely, positively need it now, then wait and see if there are any updates at WWDC.

8. vich22 macrumors newbie

so the hardware will be updated by the WWDC keynote? And already in stores? Im confused.

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Wait, there's a reasonable chance of an update around WWDC.

10. vich22 macrumors newbie

Right but does just the announcement come at the WWDC or are the enhancements already in place by the announcement?

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

only apple can answer that. I think it will be a silent update.

12. kwanzaa macrumors newbie

Apple wont amke enhancements b4 wwdc its probably then and consequently shops will start getting the new macs. I like have the same dilemma, i can either get it 27th may or else i can wait till july 1st and in the mean time i wont have a laptop but i decided its better 2 wait cos if u get it now ull regret it if a new version comes out at wwdc

13. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I vote for wait too. I'm also ready to buy but even if they don't update- get the free iPod with the back to school promotion that should start the first week of June (I'm sure you know someone who is eligible). Either way, you can't lose by waiting.

14. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Its really your choice, either way you're going to be getting a great machine, so if you want to buy it now you should

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say wait. there's a chance it'll be updated

16. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Noe

Buy now!
    So you can use the new mac to search these forums next time before asking a question that's already been asked and answered a billion times already.:D

17. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I personally plan on buying the next "Box Set" family pack, next year. So any Mac I buy doesn't need Snow Leopard, because It'll get it, early next year. So any Mac purchase for me isn't OS critical.......

What are your plans on Snow Leopard, with your other machines?

18. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

BUY NOW!

The Macbook Pros were just given speed bumps in February. The Unibodies were originally released in October. My guess is thats when they'll be updated.

19. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I'd wait. But just to take advantage of the back to school offers. I don't think there will be any update now. I'd suspect updates will follow the offers, thus will be in September-October...

20. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

They've been out for about 7 months. It's inevitable that a refresh is around the corner.

21. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Go ahead and get it. There's always going to be the possibility of another update right around the corner. The big change to the unibody construction just happened last fall (January for the 17"), so any more changes later this year (if they come) will probably be minor.

22. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

How long does it normally take a refreshed model to hit the refurb store? 3 weeks or so?

23. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I don't know exactly but it's way more than a couple of months. The 17" started shipping early march and it still hasn't been added to the refurb store. So basically at least 4-5 months