MacBook Pro: Now or June 8th?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schlangy, May 10, 2009.

  1. Schlangy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #1
    Hey everyone,
    I finally have enough money saved up for a shiny new MacBook Pro, so should I buy it now? or wait and see if they update it, or release anything new on June 8th at their WWDC keynote?

    Right now I'm running an iMac g5, that will definitely last another month, so I don't actually need the MacBook Pro right now

    Thanks,
    Eric
     
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

    SilentPanda

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2002
    Location:
    The Bamboo Forest
    #2
    At this point, unless you NEED the computer I think the standing advice for all Apple products is wait. If you can wait a month, wait... if not... buy.
     
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
  4. TheRekz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2008
  5. Liam8 macrumors 6502

    Liam8

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Buy now...

    If you are anything like me you can't wait so just buy it...:rolleyes:

    PS I have just purchased an Aluminum MacBook and I will receive it on Thursday this week, can't wait.:D
     
  6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #7
    Normally I would say just go ahead but since it's less than a month away I would have to say just wait
     
  7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #8
    Another vote for waiting. You are less than a month away, so unless you absolutely, positively need it now, then wait and see if there are any updates at WWDC.
     
  8. vich22 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    #9
    so the hardware will be updated by the WWDC keynote? And already in stores? Im confused.
     
  9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #10
    Wait, there's a reasonable chance of an update around WWDC.
     
  10. vich22 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2009
    #11
    Right but does just the announcement come at the WWDC or are the enhancements already in place by the announcement?
     
  11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #12
    only apple can answer that. I think it will be a silent update.
     
  12. kwanzaa macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 11, 2009
    Location:
    Malta
    #13
    Apple wont amke enhancements b4 wwdc its probably then and consequently shops will start getting the new macs. I like have the same dilemma, i can either get it 27th may or else i can wait till july 1st and in the mean time i wont have a laptop but i decided its better 2 wait cos if u get it now ull regret it if a new version comes out at wwdc
     
  13. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2009
    Location:
    NYC
    #14
    I vote for wait too. I'm also ready to buy but even if they don't update- get the free iPod with the back to school promotion that should start the first week of June (I'm sure you know someone who is eligible). Either way, you can't lose by waiting.
     
  14. SecondDealer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2009
    #15
    Its really your choice, either way you're going to be getting a great machine, so if you want to buy it now you should
     
  15. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #16
    i say wait. there's a chance it'll be updated
     
  16. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #17
    Noe

    Buy now!
    So you can use the new mac to search these forums next time before asking a question that's already been asked and answered a billion times already.:D
     
  17. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

    ButtUglyJeff

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Location:
    New York. The state, not the toilet.
    #18
    I personally plan on buying the next "Box Set" family pack, next year. So any Mac I buy doesn't need Snow Leopard, because It'll get it, early next year. So any Mac purchase for me isn't OS critical.......

    What are your plans on Snow Leopard, with your other machines?
     
  18. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #19
    BUY NOW!

    The Macbook Pros were just given speed bumps in February. The Unibodies were originally released in October. My guess is thats when they'll be updated.
     
  19. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    Location:
    Mexico
    #20
    I'd wait. But just to take advantage of the back to school offers. I don't think there will be any update now. I'd suspect updates will follow the offers, thus will be in September-October...
     
  20. aaquib macrumors 65816

    aaquib

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #21
    They've been out for about 7 months. It's inevitable that a refresh is around the corner.
     
  21. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

    bobbleheadbob

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #23
    Go ahead and get it. There's always going to be the possibility of another update right around the corner. The big change to the unibody construction just happened last fall (January for the 17"), so any more changes later this year (if they come) will probably be minor.
     
  22. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #24
    How long does it normally take a refreshed model to hit the refurb store? 3 weeks or so?
     
  23. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #25
    I don't know exactly but it's way more than a couple of months. The 17" started shipping early march and it still hasn't been added to the refurb store. So basically at least 4-5 months
     

Share This Page