MacBook Pro now or later? (before college)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wishiwasmissing, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. wishiwasmissing macrumors newbie

    Mar 30, 2006
    Right now I am set on buying a MacPowerbook, however I want to know if i should by one now or wait. I have read places that apple might release a newer version in June, would this mean they release it but it doesnt get shipped for another 2 months or that it would actually come out then? I would really like to buy a 17" model. However I would like to have the laptop around a month before school starts (mid August).

    Does anyone have any suggestions? If the new powerbook isnt going to come out until I have entered school then I would really like to get it now. What would you do?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. bwanac macrumors regular

    Mar 27, 2006
  3. wishiwasmissing thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 30, 2006
    I am not entirely sure. However I looked into how much the educational discount would save me and it wasnt that notable. With having a $150 discount on the MacBook, the difference would not be much and I would also have more time to familiarize myself with the system and have it running the way I desired.
  4. Peyton macrumors 68000


    Feb 2, 2006
    You know, I really think what is holding them back from the 17 inch is the wide availability of the smaller dl superdrives. Apparently that date is in June. I would say they learned their lesson with the 15 inch and they will be available in 2 weeks to a month after intro.

    If you remember the hints about the newer mac mini, they sent the instructions to asia (somewhere) just a week or so before the minis were widely available. So I can see 2.33 (or faster) core duos, June/early July. I'd wait. In fact. I am. :D
  5. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2006
    It applies if you've been accepted, so yes, as long as you're accepted, you can get the discount.
  6. Acehigh macrumors 6502

    Mar 5, 2006
    I saw somebody use a High School ID to get a discount on a Ipod yesterday at the Apple Store on Long Island. You can try, might get lucky. or maybe it worked because she was a girl.

    Can always order online, wont need the ID.

    If you want a 17" you going to have to wait till it is release. Also maybe the newer MBP will have DVD+R DL. You probably want the best one for college so you should wait and get the newest one in AUG.

    Unless you are going to use and need a computer now. Then you should get it. Since new things always will come out.

Share This Page