MacBook Pro - Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neruda17, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Neruda17 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    #1
    Hola,

    I'm transferring to a high school where Apple laptops are required and used by all of the students and teachers. I'm going to be a Senior this coming Fall, which means I'm in a bit of unique situation.

    Basicly, my problem is this: I have the opportunity to lease a used iBook G4 for one year for $463. The entire Jr. and Senior class have iBooks, I would not be the odd man out. At the end of the year I would turn in that iBook and buy (on my own) a new MacBook Pro (or possibly a MacBook) with the high school's discount, which is about $200.

    Or, I could buy a new MacBook Pro now (still with the high school's discount), but risk something bigger and better coming out in January.

    My problem is that I don't know if it's worth having the better computer for the lone high school year but risking something better coming out in January. Any suggestions?

    - Neruda17
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    You can BUY one of those for that amount. If you're waiting for Montevina, it will be out by the end of September at the LATEST. We're thinking August, really.

    There will be no updates after Montevina until Nehalem comes out for laptops in the spring.

    Wait... a HIGH SCHOOL that requires laptops?! People need to tell me about these places... my high school doesn't even allow calculators unless you're taking a math class.

    Oh, and no compatibility is offered for Macs there. At all. We were told to do it with a Microsoft program or not at all (italicized implication mine). So I would basically just do all of my papers, presentations, and reports with Apple programs and convert them. My work was leagues ahead of everyone else's in terms of quality.
     

Share This Page