MacBook Pro Now or Wait Until Next Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comicboy514, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. comicboy514 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #1
    I am a graphic designer, and my current home computer is a 4 year old powermac 1.5ghz G4, yeah it's slow (at my office I use a 2.2ghz intel iMac).

    I was planning on updating now to the new line of Macbook Pros, but I’ve seen a few things that are making me wonder if I should wait or not. One is that nVidia just released a new mobile GPU which happen to much better than whats in the macbook. The second is the rumor of Apple moving to quad-core laptops within a year. The third is that Apple has clipped the hard drives wings, making a SSD seem pointless.

    What do you think?
     
  2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

    FSMBP

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #2
    My question is, how long can you wait? Apple just did a update to the line - my guess is the next batch of updates will come January/Feb 2010.

    Apple may switch to the newer graphics cards but I would never 100% assume they would. And maybe they might address the current harddrive speed issues in the next update. If those things are really worth it to you, I would wait.

    If you can wait, something better will always come out. It just depends if your current Mac is sufficient.
     
  3. rabidadvisor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2009
    #3
    Only buy a computer when you need it. There is always better things being developed and released, you will wait forever if you keep that up. Is your work suffering because of the slow speed? Then get one, if not hold out until that time.
     
  4. heesey1010 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2006
    #4
    The next big things coming down the stretch are probably minor processor/architecture upgrades, maybe a midrange graphics card, and USB 3.0 (although I don't know when/if that's going to be approved, according to Wiki we'll see it first quarter in some products in 2010). USB 3.0 will probably be a 2010 WWDC thing though, no doubt.
     
  5. anamznazn macrumors regular

    anamznazn

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2005
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #5
    I would say it's worth it now. Apple just recently updated its laptops so it'll be another while until they do another minor speed bump.
     
  6. qsg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Philadelphia, Pa
    #6
    Always buy based on need, and if you happen to be close to an expo/unveiling(June/January) wait.
    So if you want/need one now, go for it. O_O
     
  7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    #7
    matte

    I'm waiting for a newer 15" with the matte option.
     
  8. Joruus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    #8
    Said if often enough here, Arrandale will boost the speed by roughly 10%-50% or even more because of Hyperthreading. It's been 3 years since the C2D's in the MBP's, if you want one of those buy now.
     
  9. danfl2004 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    #9
    You might also get stuck with an intergrated intel graphics card if you wait for next big update and its Arrandale.
     
  10. Joruus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    #10
    Apple can't ship Intel GFX anymore unless its Larrabee, they can't sell ANYTHING once Snow Leopard ships that doesn't support OpenCL. It would be the first time they would ship Hardware that doesn't support the Features of OS X at that time.

    Or wait.. a MBP with Larrabee would be badass, imagine Grand Central + OpenCL on a 48 Core GPGPU :p
     
  11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

    mikes70mustang

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #11
    Everybody said, get a pro now! like 2 weeks ago. "there will only be minor speed bumps and nothing noteworthy" and look what happened. None of these goobers on here have a clue what is going on.
     
  12. Thiol macrumors 6502a

    Thiol

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    #12
    1. I would suggest trying the new MBPs with the software that you're running to see if the GPU is good enough for your needs. The GPUs are not top of the line, but very good. I use CS3 just fine on a classic MBP.
    2. It's a sketchy rumor at best. The first quad core processors will have slow clock speeds and use a lot of power. It's not clear that Apple will use those. You could very well be waiting much more than a year.
    3. SSDs aren't pointless with 1.5 Gb SATA connections. They will still be screaming fast, with the only major issue being transferring large files.

    In the end, the new MBP will be a large step up from your current system and will last you years.
     
  13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #13
    Minor speedbumps and nothing noteworthy.

    Honestly, prove to me that anything else happened. Did we get a new CPU? GPU? Matte screens?

    Enjoy waiting forever.
     
  14. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

    Bubba Satori

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    B'ham
    #14
    Buy it now. Enjoy it and make money with it for the next 3-4 years. Good luck. :apple:
     
  15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    #15
    Apple is the last company to care about having the latest GPU
     
  16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

    aznguyen316

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #16
    I have the UMB and I see it not worth upgrading to a Pro just yet. I have a feeling the next Pro update will have a better discrete graphics option, and then I'll jump! only b/c I like to game on my machines lol
     
  17. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

    mikes70mustang

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    US
    #17
    13" pro, eliminated express slot, sd, eliminated removable batt., 1.5 transfer rate. Note worthy.
     

Share This Page