MacBook Pro Numerous Issues & Terrible Customer Service.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catmonkey, Feb 4, 2009.

1. catmonkey macrumors member

Hi all,

I would just like a bit of general advice on my current situation.

I bought a MacBook Pro about three weeks before the new Unibody models were released - but at the time I was not fussed as my early 2008 model had no issues.

After two months I opened the lid to find the LED striping issue, followed by graphical glitches on screen occasionally. I took it into the store and they ordered in a new screen and logic board in while I took the machine back because I am at University here in the UK and need it every day without fail.

I get a call on Tues 20th Jan informing me that the parts were in, so three hours later I took the unit in for repair. I was on the understanding that a week is the longest I would be without the machine - especially as the parts were now allocated to the machine.

On the 22nd I called in to check on it and was told that the parts had been allocated to the machine - I asked if it should be done by the end of the day and was told by the member of staff that this is most likely.

I went into the store on the Friday of that week and was told it now has a two day estimate to be completed on Sunday - this was the last chance as I had an assignment due in on the Monday!

I called an hour before the store closed and was told that the repair should be completed by the end of this coming week! So I was forced to go in and cancel the repair to avoid failing one of my assessed assignments.

Since having the machine back I have noticed the battery health hovering around 79-85% at only 44 cycles. The headphone jack gives out a horrible buzzing/crackling sound when plugged into my stereo, but when the stereo is plugged into my Airport Express the signal is clean. Finally now the Superdrive fails to burn to ANY DVD (single and dual layer) or CD.

I have contacted customer relations several times and received no response back whatsoever and AppleCare directed me back to the store.

I am extremely reluctant to hand it back to them, mainly because I need this machine for work as it's my only computer here. I am beyond dissatisfied with the Apple stores service - it has caused me so much frustration and anger.

Am I being reasonable in asking for a replacement system? I don't understand how it can be economically viable to replace 85% of the parts plus labour compared to swapping the system out with a new one. I wouldn't mind paying a re-stocking fee and the price difference between the early and late 2008 models I just want a machine that works without having to spend days in repair again. I have the original box and the machine has no blemishes at all, the case is free from even hairline scratches.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Mike

2. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I had a story very similar to the one you told. We are not as lucky as many other people on this forum.

3. MrZebra macrumors regular

I think so! I think you should contact apple care once more. Good luck!

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I don't know exactly how Apple handles support in the UK, but I have fairly extensive experience with most parts of the Apple support system (including Executive Relations) at this point.

If the store can't/won't help you then call AppleCare and tell them about the problems saying you won't be going back to the store to get it fixed. You can't expect Apple to replace your computer because of a few problems, but it is reasonable to have them repair it.

I've typically had good luck with the Genius Bar and AppleCare, but sometimes it does take two repairs to get it done right.

5. catmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Tell me about it! I am yet to have an Apple notebook that hasn't needed to go into repair. What was the conclusion to your situation?

Thank you for bringing me back down to earth on the replacement front. The only reason why I have high expectations is that with my first MacBook that had too many issues to list got replaced while it was six months out of the standard one year warranty.

I am currently dealing with the manager of the Leicester store - who I am very impressed with, especially compared to all the other members of staff I have had to talk to about the situation there. I will receive a call back again shortly where he will inform me of what they can do.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I had written out a long detailed post, but that was largely a waste.

I would talk to the manager to see what my options were for the repair. You've obviously been very patient (that will help) so see what they are willing to do. You might end up with a replacement since you had to go through all this trouble.

I usually keep three things in mind.

1) Specific times, dates, names, and circumstances for each call or visit.

2) The problems it is having and when they started. Paperwork is an excellent thing to have in this case.

3) What I consider reasonable for work done or what I can actually tolerate for work/school/activity reasons.

The manager has a lot of options to make a customer happy so hear what he has to say then do what you think is best in that regard. ;) Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. catmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Bad Update!

Just a quick update,

Needless to say I did not receive a call back on that same day, so I called now yesterday afternoon and was told by the manager that all of the parts had been ordered already for my system (screen, logic board, battery, superdrive and left I/0 ports) so they clearly seem set on replacing near enough everything in the machine right now.

He then went on to say both him and a genius bar member of staff will call back within the next two hours - again no phone call and the store closed 4 hours ago.

I am really starting to loose interest in this, seems like I'm getting nowhere with Apple! I don't understand how difficult it is for even the manager to pick up the phone and call me within the time frame he set himself in the first place.

Thankyou LinMac for your contributions to this thread - I am reading and following your useful advice.

8. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Sorry to hear about your issues. I had a similar case where my MBP was having some issues. I chose not to go back to the local Apple store since it was a 2 hour round trip so I called Apple Care and asked to speak directly to Customer Relations. I explained the situation and they sent out a overnight box to me the next day and it was returned to me in 3 days (1 day to get there, 1 day to get it fixed and shipped back out, 1 day to get to me).

I would seriously contact Customer Relations and work through them and not the Apple store.

Good luck and keep us posted.

9. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Looks real simple to me

Just let them fix it for ya or you got any other options?

No? Then why even bother

I know eventually you would let them fix

Btw, I have feeling op just want free shiny new computer :rolleyes:

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

This is the point where I usually lose my patience with the Apple store and I go straight to the top. sjobs@apple.com exists for a reason and this is that exact reason. If they can't/won't fix it properly then you might want to go ask someone at Executive Relations why your repair is so low priority that they can't even be bothered to call you back.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

He wasn't joking, an email to steve jobs (copy and paste everything you've talked about here and maybe even our responses) usually gets some sympathy, more often than not they'll issue you with a replacement computer. Just remember to ask them if you can keep your old hard drive.

12. catmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Would be nice but like I said to the Apple store I like my Pro, If I got a unibody somehow, I would need to wait another month to buy an HDMI adapter so I can use my cinema display and would have to fork out on a firewire 800>400 cable. When it is fixed I will keep it until something goes wrong out of Applecare that is half or more the price of a new MacBook Pro.

I wish this would happen again as it did with my first ever Mac - replacing it because of a huge list of issues with a model 2 generations newer. I had tried to contact my previous contacts from sjobs@apple.com but this time round I got no reply at all, even when e-mailing direct to sjobs@apple.com again!

My machine is now back in the store on a 5 day estimate as again all the parts are in - not that this made any difference last time! The reason why I'm not so annoyed this time is I have my flat mates old £300 Dell to use (as I advised her to buy a unibody MacBook because this machine is on it's last legs and has had different parts fail on 4 occasions.) so I can complete written work and still take notes in lectures, I just can't do practical work in CS4.

Thanks again for everyones input, I will carry on updating this 'story' when I get it back from the store.

13. catmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Final Update

Hi again, typing this from my fixed MBP,

Got a call from the store this morning saying it was finished (after a customer relations contact pushed the repair forward.) I have had it back for a few hours now and can safely say the superdrive now works for sure and the rest of the system seems fine, although the audio jack issue is still there where I will plug any of the three cables from my cinema display into the machine and the audio starts to buzz etc. plugging anything else in like my memory stick doesn't give the same result - the audio stays as clean as it is without anything else plugged into the machine so I'm not going to be complaining about that, I don't want it away yet again for another week.

I am going to receive a call back from the customer relations contact to arrange a 'good will gesture', most likely in store credit I presume.

Thanks again.