Macbook Pro Old Exchange for New Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcmeche, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rcmeche macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a 15" Macbook Pro on Ebay on May 29. I had the laptop barely a week and apple released the new edition. I payed $2200 for this. Now I have an "outdated" laptop and payed too much! Is there anything I can do, or since I used ebay I am stuck with this Macbook?

I've had the laptop under 14 days, would that make a difference since Apple has the "14 Day Policy"?

I just feel like I got ripped off money and a laptop!

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Because you bought it on eBay and not at an official Apple reseller, I'd say your chances of getting it replaced are slim to none. Unless you bought it new, you have proof of date of purchase with you, and you seduce the Genius of staff, there is no way you will get them to honor the "14 day" policy.

3. rcmeche thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it new, but do not have the proof of purchase. Oh well. It's my first mac and I love it anyway. It just kinda upsets me that I COULD have waited and COULD have got the new model and saved money.

Guess that's just how it goes. I was mainly just worried about the battery life and SD card reader. I don't see a purpose for this Express Card Slot I have now.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Chances are none that you are going to get Apple to do anything or the seller however you should definitely have proof of purchase from your Paypal account or an email from the Ebay purchase. You don't have that?

5. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You dont need proof of purchase for service so I dont see why you would need one for exchange. Just look up the date of manufacturing. If it is within a month I think your chances are pretty good.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Buyer beware. Return policies are set by the seller, so unless you're within the specifications of his unique policy, there is nothing to do.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Even though you are willing to cope, I would still go to the Apple store with a polite tone and discuss your concerns with a genius. If that doesn't work, I would write a well-worded email to AppleCare about it. They will most likely say no, but if they give you a replacement it will be worth the hassle. Best case scenario is they refund your money (not going to happen), but hey, with the $2200 you could get a 17"! I would also talk to the eBay guy, believe it or not.

8. Gianlusp macrumors member

I'm in the same situation I bought MBP 17"unibody on 23 May from Apple store New orleans 14 days already left(because I'm work in a cruise ship and I'm in New orleans 1 time a week)..but I heard that is possible try paying fees because is opened to get the new upgraded.
    I think it will depend Apple store manager...but I'm not positive...

9. cu2010 macrumors 6502

can i go to a local store and ask for an exchange even though i bought my 15" ONLINE? and when i say exchange, i don't mean it. i just want a gift certificate that some of you have been awarded for a price difference. and besides, i don't think they will accept a custom configured machine for return or exchange.

10. Gianlusp macrumors member

I don't know really...I bought 19 days ago.. in Apple store in New orleans..I will try to get the MBP upgraded paying fee ,considering now the price lower (-300$) but it depend Apple store manager do exceptions..

11. chriszzz macrumors 6502

There is zero chance any Apple store will exchange a model you bought on eBay.

Would Best Buy take back a video game or TV you bought on eBay?