Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I was browsing the specifications and saw that the maximum operating altitude for a macbook pro is 10,000 ft... Is this elevation? In other words, is it that you can't use the macbook pro at the top of everest? or do they not want you to use it on an airplane. It's a weird thing to put on the specifications.

Just wondering why this is.

p.s. I use my powerbook on the plane all the time.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
A plane is pressurized and the altitude it flies at will not effect a laptop or other electronic.

LaJaca

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Near Seattle
Most passenger jets pressurize to an equivalent pressure of 6-8,000 feet above sea level. Will work fine in a pressurized airplane, or Lima Peru for that matter.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
I was browsing the specifications and saw that the maximum operating altitude for a macbook pro is 10,000 ft... Is this elevation? In other words, is it that you can't use the macbook pro at the top of everest? or do they not want you to use it on an airplane. It's a weird thing to put on the specifications.

Just wondering why this is.

p.s. I use my powerbook on the plane all the time.

Actually, for most people this wouldn't make much of a difference. There are some people that live near that altitude and would like to know the specifications. For example, Breckenridge, CO is near 9000 ft. Some towns do top 10,000 ft. I, for example, wanted to know the operating altitude before I purchased my iMac. I live around 8000 ft. and wanted to make sure the iMac would be able to cool itself enough in the thinner air.

As for aircraft, as mentioned above, you'll be fine. None of the commercial airliners pressurize to sea level, but they do generally pressurize to a level of 7000 feet or so.

Hope that answers your question!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.