Macbook Pro on Craigslist - Buy it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stylar, May 3, 2010.

1. stylar macrumors member

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Comes with charger only? Is that saying there are no install discs? I'd question this to be honest. No box ok, no discs not totally ok to me. Buyer beware.

3. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

Looks like a pretty good deal. No disks wouldn't be a big deal for me, but I'd ask for pictures to see the small ding by the power port.

4. stylar thread starter macrumors member

Why is no discs a big deal? Would I ever need the discs?

I'm going to meet him in person, so I can check it myself.

Do you think I could get a better deal online - eBay, Apple, anything?

Also, is Applecare worth it? I'm starting to think no.

5. stylar thread starter macrumors member

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't bump your threads.

No discs, no box, just a charger ... I'd question where the computer came from. No discs also means if you ever need to restore you're SOL unless you spend the cash to buy the discs from Apple.

7. thecheda macrumors 6502

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I bought my Pro off Craigslist and it was pretty smooth. It was brand new in box and he had the original receipt from Apple which is probably the only reason I even trusted buying it from him.

At the very least go check it out and see what condition it's in etc;

Check the serial to see if it's still eligible for Apple Care if you need it :p

9. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I've been checking the Craigslist posts in my area (Philadelphia) and, so far, everyone has been some sort of scam. Although they say local (Philly, or one of the burbs), the replies are all "I've moved to Manchester, UK (or somewhere else overseas) but want to sell my MBP, blah, blah, blah).

Now, mind you, I've been looking for a bargain; if somebody wants $200 off list for a year old MBP, I'd rather spend the extra $$ and buy a new one.

10. ihaveNFC Guest

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Doesn't have to buy the discs from Apple. All you need is the Snow Leopard Install disks and you can buy them on eBay or even Amazon. No disks doesn't make it stolen.

12. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I have bought and sold MBP's from time to time and this is a good deal! The apple care is a big deal as it gives you piece of mind and is better for your resell.

You are getting it for less than half once you figure in Applecare ($2350 new plus $350 AppleCare and sales tax!)

The only thing you want to avoid is buying a stolen Mac! Tell the buyer you want to meet at and Apple store if there is one close by to confirm the Applecare extended warranty. If you aren't near a store tell him once you meet you want to call Applecare to confirm it. They can tell you who it is currently registered to and if the buyer won't let you do that or acts shifty then WALK!

Good luck! Hope this helps!

13. ihaveNFC Guest

Funny you should mention this. Had my MBP stolen two years back. Turns out someone tried to sell it on CL and the potential buyer did the whole "apple store" verification bit. Came back with my name on it and notes saying the laptop was reported stolen.

I guess the silver lining is that you've got to CYA (cover your a$$) with every transaction not involving a legit business. Chances are this is a legit system & seller, but I second the above recommendation. good luck.