Macbook Pro on Craigslist-good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clyde2801, Oct 3, 2008.

1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

saw this on my local craigslist (okla. city)

PHP:
    http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/sys/863235462.html
    Core 2 duo 15" powerbook, 1 gig memory, standard configuration, one year of apple care left, standard configuration.

Guy wants $1400 for it, I figure I might be able to get him down a couple of hundred. Is this a good deal or not, considering that they may be updating the line here in a week or so? Would value any advice (or even opinions) on the subject. Thanks.

2. thenetstud macrumors member

I'd be careful, his ad says it has the Intel Core 2 duo but then calls it a PowerBook.

3. elpenguino macrumors member

I guess he changed it because it says Macbook Pro now. For me, 1400 is a little high for an older Pro w/ two dents, but like you said, try to talk him down. Make sure the Apple Care is still good too. :)

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Are we reading the same ad? I see no mention of a Powerbook.

The price looks reasonable, and you may be able to negotiate downward. The 2.16GHz models are a couple of revisions old. Ask for the serial number and check it on the Apple website. You'll be able to find full specs on the model, whether the AppleCare is indeed still valid, and ensure that the machine hasn't been reported as stolen.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds too high.
    go to store.apple.com

Look under special deals
    Refurb Mac

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Thead owner made a small error in stating Power book in this new thread.

In addition, these MBP models, which I own one, are amazing machines. However, I do NOT think it is really this young. However could be since has 2.16 it could be the stb/base model. I paid $2499 for the nicer processor and graphics card. My 3 GB RAM for graphics is 256 and I would ensure it has at a minimum of 256 graphics. Mine has 3GB RAM max. Although four gigs will work, will only recognize 3 GB. And mine was purchased in April 2007.

So, I thing that is an original $1999 version. In that scenario, I would buy a refurbished from Apple. Or. I would make sure I buy it from the seller's home address. So the model/version number ensures a newer version of Mac which displays no difference on the outside, but quite the capabilities and hardware under the "hood."

If it were me, I would wait and see what the new Pro's have in the way of software and new system capabilities. Maybe a 512mb standard graphics card for the lower end version and an overall price drop could yield a BRAND NEW MAC for $1799!

Best wishes with it. Hope as wonderful to you as mine has been to me.

7. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Thanks for the advice, everyone! What if I could talk him down to $1200?

Oh, and look up the serial number, check with applecare, etc...

8. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

There are a lot of postings for MBPs at a low price in my area. Unfortunately, when you answer, they are always in the UK but will ship it if you send the $ through some bogus deal. DO NOT fall for this scam. It goes on all the time!

9. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I get that a lot. I used to send "FRAK YOU" responses, but it got to be too much effort. Now I just ignore them.

The guy is from a suburb of OKC, Norman. It's from a University of Oklahoma email address.

So, whaddya think for 1200? Deal or no deal?

10. mpm227 macrumors newbie

Knock on the Door

I recently bought a 15 inch macbook pro this spring, one of the techs I work with laughed at me for paying over 2000 dollars for this system. He was buying a 17 inch macbook pro off of Craigs list for 1200 and he claimed I had been taken. In short he had a night time redevous with the seller paid his 1200 and got his laptop. He fell in love with it. However within the week a knock came from his door, and lo and behold it was the police. His new pride and joy was stolen and had lojack on it. Trip to police station, couple of hours of questioning and lucky for him they belived his story so he got to go home. The laptop stayed with the police to be returned to the real owner. The tech was out the 1200 dollars but he got a valuable leason on online purchasing of laptops. Every time I bring my mac book pro in he leaves the office muttering. Plus I wnt out and bought the LoJack package,;)

11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

No deal...wait for an Apple Refurb around 1300

EDIT: Go to refurb site NOW!!!
    There is a refurb MBP 2.16 for 1299!
    Also a MBP 2.2 for 1449!

Much better to buy from Apple than from CL's.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Which did you buy off the refurb site? Get the 2.16 so you don't get the crappy graphics card.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm with the other posters on this thread. Do not fall for scams of that nature; I'd advise (as do some others) that you go the refurb route. That way, you'll have th benefit of the Apple warranty and guarantee, the peace of mind of knowing that Apple have individually tested that computer and the knowledge that everything is legitimate and that you have legal protection should anything go wrong.
    Cheers and good luck

14. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

You're Welcome :eek:)

I think that guy was hoping for an unknowledgable noob to buy a USED MBP(from a third party) at pretty much the same price you can buy a refurb(used) MBP direct from Apple....a no brainer! :)

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I don't think it was a no brainer. AND it all depends on financial situation and TRUE

It all depends on YOUR financial situation and your TRUE needs. Some people will tell you something like, "oh but it has to have this or that will suck." That may have no regards to your typical use. Might be due to a game or specific program that is not compatible in the "best" way for a particular use.

You need to get the MOST MAC you can get and is this $1200 deal the MOST MAC YOU can get for your $1200??? Isn't that the true question? So, let's lay it out RIGHT HERE.

1 - Will this Used MBP be what YOU need it to be?
    2 - if not, how much more is needed to bring it up to what you need?
    3 - if so, is there overkill?
    4 - will the new highly anticipated MacBooks + MBP + MBA fill your needs BETTER???
    5 - CAN YOU WAIT??? Can you wait??? Can YOU wait? I WOULD!

Graphics Card is probably a mute point. Unless you are a big time gamer OR you use graphics intensive programs like PhotoShop, the graphics card in the MBP is OVERKILL. And that nearly adds $500 to the current base price of the $1999 model 15-inch versus the $2499 model 15-inch. BUT if the graphics card is the major feature for you, PERHAPS you should WAIT til the new lineup is released and get a KILLER deal on a reconditioned MBP.

Or, perhaps the new MB line will have ALL of the features you care about for $1199 or even possibly $999. It seems imminent and evident that we are going to see MacBooks made from aluminum looking similar to the current MBP or MBA. AND, the new MacBooks may have a dedicated graphics card or something more substantial than the prior MacBooks which had a shared memory graphics card.

So, you want it for simply because YOU, I repeat YOU have to have it NOW, it is really an object taking up every second of your time. Then, perhaps you should go down the street and bargain negotiate your way into the best deal and buy the darn thing.

I know from experience that I ALWAYS wish I would have waited on EVERYTHING except the iPhone. I bought the original on the first day and have not ever looked back. USUALLY, I am wrong though, like the day I HAD to have a darn MBA that day. I bought one. And I ate about $400 three months later because of it. I never used it I only thought/wished I had to have it.

Had I waited, to now, having learned around a month ago, that the NEW MacBook lineup will be out around October 14th, I would have benefited. Because I would have purchased based on my TRUE needs over true HAVE to have revelations that are usually not at all NEEDS.

Going back, you have $1200 cash and you HAVE to have this MBP TODAY. Go beat down the door and buy your MBP with Dignity and Honor. For no MacBook purchase is a poor decision, as timing reveals all in the end. Only the mere grasp of a MacBook could throw off otherwise perfect rationalism.

I need to get back to waiting for the new MacBook lineup. Can it be true? A new MacBook that is in aluminum, AND has a dedicated graphics card, and that is ALL I need. I don't need the 15" but usually stuck on graphics card for web design stuff. However, I would sure love even a 128 MB dedicated graphics card in the new 13.3-inch ALUMINUM MacBook.

Best wishes with your WAIT versus buy now dilemma. It is such a sad but true dilemma. There are so many of us afflicted with our sorrowed MacBook stories.

Be well.

GodSpeed!

16. mike2016 macrumors newbie

17. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

a true expression of my inner turmoil

Wow, you did an excellent job describing what I am going through. A little verbose, maybe, but still...

Knowing that I was wanting a secondary machine to schlep around the house for browsing and word processing, I even considered a little g4 ibook but hesitated on pulling the trigger since it didn't have wireless.

I didn't go out and buy any notebook yet, but this guy is perfectly describing my thought/emotional process, which is slightly obsessive when it comes to apple products.

Okay, okay, okay, I'm going to wait for the 14th or 15th. If they come up with new products then, I may be either able to buy it new, or get the mb's/mbp's being sold on craigslist now for even cheaper.

If I buy someone's used macbook for 850, I'm going to feel like an IDIOT if they drop the price of the new ones with new features to 999 or something comparable.

Thanks again, Scottsdale!

18. clyde2801 thread starter macrumors 601

clyde2801

update

Talked to someone off of CL last night who will sell me his c2d 2.16 15" mbp with one year of applecare remaining for $900.00. This is even lower than the mac2sell.net value of the machine. 120 gb hd, and 2gig of ram.

Put in the serial number he gave me on the apple support site to verify the warranty. Going to meet him this evening after the event to purchase it (which gives me a little wiggle room).

Actually, I'm taking a friend whose been needing to buy a mbp for his commercial production business to give him first crack at it, in an unusual attempt to by me to be selfless and mature.

Checked with a few folks, and I'm being assured that unless SJ comes out with drastically different models at lower price points, this is a helluva deal (for either my friend or me). Your feedback would be appreciated.

19. mjerald macrumors newbie

Ebay deal ending soon ..

Apple Macbook Pro 15", 2.2, 4GB ram, 320GB HD,*MINT*
    Santa Rosa w/LED LCD, (Red)Speck Cover, Incase Sleeve

http://www.ebay.com

Item number: 330277834575