Macbook Pro on Craigslist...please advise...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by reubs, Apr 25, 2008.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I generally hunt around on craigslist for the random deal in this small area, and here's something that seems a bit odd. I've never been interested in a MBP, but this is something that caught my interest. What should I be concerned about/ask about?

http://valdosta.craigslist.org/sys/638247977.html

Thanks much.

2. Derald Lary macrumors member

I think you should be concerned, there has been a similar listing on the McAllen, Texas Craigslist over the last couple of months. If it sounds too good to be true........

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, it really does sound too good to be true, but in a town this small and someone who really needs to unload something, it's just hard to tell.

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

My 2 Cents; Either it's a stolen Item, or it's a SCAM.
    If it seems too good to be true, as has been said earlier, it probably is.
    I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.:eek:

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say definitely stolen?

But since it is craigs list, you can go see it in person to check for any reason why it definitely shouldn't be at this price. However, I would say that there might be some reason why they are asking this low.

6. Draddy macrumors regular

just go look at it in person....he can't scam you in person.

but yeah, it's most likely stolen,

7. chadabshier macrumors newbie

One possible way to tell if it is stolen...

Is the charger included in the sale?

8. sjjordan macrumors 6502

The same listing appeared in my local craiglist page. I asked about it and it turned out they lived in the UK and were going to "ship" it to me when I paid for it. It's a scam.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no, but he can rob you. It's happened before (via craigslist). I say walk away from this one.

10. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I agree. You could try and meet him in a public place (McDonalds etc.) but I'll bet you $5 its a scam. Would you sell a macbook pro for that price?

11. sjjordan macrumors 6502

And I doubt you'll be able to see it in person. It'll probably be one of those, "Well I'm local, but I'm selling this for my brother who lives overseas." scam. Just let it go.

12. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

This is a scam. Email them and they will say they are from the UK...I saw a similar picture on my local Craig's list for about the same price.

Move on.

13. G5power macrumors 6502

I've seen this and similar adds every day on about 10 different cities Craigslist sections that I watch every day.

These always turn out to be the I'm overseas / send me money with Western Union scam. Really there is no reason that someone would sell a computer for well under the going rate. Again just look around and you see the same adds.

The adds get flagged more quickly on he busier CL cities.

14. nmorris macrumors newbie

Same posting in Vancouver BC.

I saw the same posting listed in Vancouver BC, Canada. :apple:

15. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

'nuff said, Don't think that we could be any clearer. It REEKS of SCAM!
    Walk away or post here in a few weeks that you got ripped off, or worse Robbed at knife/gunpoint. SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAMALA SCAM SCAMALA SCAM. I'll Have Scam Eggs, Scam, Bacon & Scam.
    My apologies to Python :D

16. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, that's clear enough. I don't do much business on Craig's List, and I'm smart enough to not send a check/cash/Western Union. Thanks, though, to everyone for their input. Consider me done on this one.

17. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I got this same spec macbook pro for 850 on craigslist. but the gu was very specific with his wording about the problems the machine has. This sounds shady and perhaps from someone abroad (not to generalize but facts are facts). I would email and see what the response is, post it here too