MacBook Pro on Craigslist - Receipt from Apple Store provided - What else is there?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James.K.Polk, Mar 25, 2017.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Out of curiosity. Spotted a great deal on a 2016 15" MBP. Sealed box. Has a receipt that matches the Serial # on the box and is registered to AppleCare on Apple's website. Purchased online for in-store pick-up, as denoted on the receipt.

What am I missing here?

2. jakespeed macrumors member

Probably nothing. Probably someone just decided to change to a different one...or read to many reviews and let people convince them it wasn't for them. I sold my 15 on Swappa and bought a 13 for better portability. I would say be smart about the transaction, don't pay more than its worth (less than a refurb at least) , check it out in person in a safe place and enjoy.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's $2100 for the base 15" MacBook Pro, with AppleCare, a good enough deal that I'm concerned. And it's still within the return period. But again, the guy is transparent, he's happy to meet at an Apple Store... something just feels off.

4. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I would be very careful in this situation because it doesn't make any sense. Ask the guy why he's selling the Mac at a discount when he could just return it instead and see what he says.

5. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

"My brother bought it for me as a gift."

At this point, I'm absolutely not buying, nor meeting this guy - just really curious as to what is going on.

6. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Yeah, not feeling it. No reason why he should take a loss if it's still within the return period, gift or not.

I'd skip this one and keep looking.

7. killawat macrumors 65816

What if the seller could have really wanted/needed the cash while the brother thought he was just handing over an awesome gift. Flash your cash then open the machine at the Apple Store. You don't want to miss out on a

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

^ No one gives out $2500 computers as a gift, brother or not. :D

9. acorntoy, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Err.... Macbook Pro's are gifted extremely often. Especially between families. Maybe not "Here neighbor have a maxed '15" but it's fairly common to receive as a gift, especially for a student or somebody who has recently graduated. However it does seem extremely suspicious, I might try to sell if a random person gave it to me, but if my brother gave it to me i'd certainly tell him I don't want it and ask him to return it.

Purchased online for in-store pick-up, as denoted on the receipt.

^

Has nobody pointed this out? This is extremely suspicious. Who knows if the Apple store checked the ID or just handed the computer over to the guy. Run this dude's a scammer. Theres a million things that can go wrong because of that alone.

10. jakespeed macrumors member

Have to agree with others. Being inside the return window changes things for sure. There are explanations but definitely smells. 2100 is a good deal but not an amazing one...walk away.

11. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done :) Just wish I could answer the mystery!

12. jerryk macrumors 68030

I have given computers and cars as gifts.

13. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

LOL, If he returns it it goes back to the brother's CC, if he sells it he gets cash. I'd DEFINITELY look into it, and at the Apple Store so they can verify the machine. if it was putting $2100 in MY pocket I'd knock a few bucks off to get it sold.

And I just gifted my 11 Y/O son an $1800 Alienware laptop, so it DOES happen from time to time [he needed a decent starter gaming laptop, and Alienware are built like tanks]

14. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

But you'd care if he sold it, no?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    Can someone verify a receipt? I can PM it.

15. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Judging from the fact it was bought online, I'd say he bought it with a card that isn't his or he bought it with gift cards that are fraudulent.

16. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Makes sense! Again, I told him 'no' - just being curious. I made up my mind (besides this thread) when he refused to give me a number other than from Pinger and said he didn't give out personal contact info on Craigslist. Commendable, but I was about hand him $2000 sooo....

17. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Sounds like it could be legit, imo. Especially if he was willing to meet at an Apple Store and have things verified by staff in store.

From what you're saying his brother bought him a gift (probably on credit card) and selling it in this fashion puts the money in his pocket and not back on his bros card.

18. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

That's a deal breaker right there for me too. With that information I can say you probably made the correct choice. A guy wanting to unload an unwanted laptop is one thing, but shady seller definitely suggests something not on the level.

And if my son sold the new Alienware I just bought him on Craigslist I'd be a bit shocked.... I mean he's only 11....

19. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

By shocked you meant you would do like below?

[​IMG]

:D

20. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Could have used a stolen credit card & social engineering is huge these days. You can easily buy credit card details on the dark web.

21. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Well yea but. . . he's like his parents: a pretty big gamer. He's only had it about a two weeks and he's obsessed with playing on it. For him to even contemplate selling it would be very improbable. Then he'd have to know what Craigslist was, how to set up an account, he'd have to manage to get the laptop out of the house and find a ride to wherever he was going to sell it. . .

That's just an almost insurmountable amount of work for an 11 y/o.

Is it sad I could watch that gif all day?

22. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if Apple Store could verify what's the issue?

23. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

It's more likely to be sold on Amazon/Ebay if they are tech savvy at that age.

Way way back when I had my original iPhone 3G I was able to set up a PayPal account (unverified) and then I was able to jailbreak and use the websites that give you cash for downloading free apps. At like 13-14 I had $500 in Amazon gift cards and whatever amount that I also got through PayPal. My mom couldn't find out how the hell I managed to get the money and order all the crap I had. Took me hours but I didn't have anything better to do at that age.

24. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Want to adopt me? My family gets along great, but none of us have purchased a prop for any of the others. I need to be adopted into that lifestyle! :)

25. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

It's time for you to set the tone and be the first ;)