MacBook Pro on eBay. (Good deal?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamjackson, Jun 23, 2009.

1. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

So I just sold my MacBook Pro for $2900 on eBay. I'm going to buy a new one from Apple direct but when I searched eBay I found this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120432166021

It's a BRAND NEW 3.06Ghz 15" MacBook Pro with all of the standard features BUT the reseller installed a 256gb G.Skill Titan SSD which sells for $599 on NewEgg.

After California Tax, I'm saving money versus buying one on Apple.com and doing it all myself. Plus i have a $100 coupon from Paypal and $200 coupon from Bing.com Shopping.

So given that I'll only pay $2900 for this laptop, is a good deal compared to what I'd pay on Apple.com and is it better than the SSD Apple has in their notebooks?

THANKS!!!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Seems to be the same price if you bought the SSD through Newegg and the Macbook through Apple. With a savings from no sales tax (technically you are probably supposed to report the purchase to your state and pay the taxes, assuming your state collects sales tax and has such laws).

I do not know of data regarding Apples SSD speed. However, going by the 256GB SSD's available on Newegg.com the G.Skill Titan has the slowest read speed and second slowest write speed. Currently the average speed of 256GB SSD's on newegg are listed at 230MB/s read and 175MB/s write.

3. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Look at the sellers feedback history (1st rule of ebay)
    they previously sold a new macbook pro, and the buyer claims it didn't work, and there was no full refund (although the box wasn't returned.)

Depending on how much you are saving, is the risk really worth it ?

Personally I would buy direct from Apple.