MacBook Pro on the TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by antyboy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. antyboy macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out how to hook my roommates macbook pro up to my TV. We want to watch something on his computer on my TV at a party and I know how I am doing the audio and I am unfortunately a pc guy so know nothing about macs. I thought S-video but that aint on his mac. What do I do for video?

2. andcraig macrumors regular

If the TV has VGA, you need the dvi to vga adaptor.

Otherwise - it looks like you're using S-Video by your message, there's a DVI to S-Vid/Composite available as well. You get the adaptor (i think it's 30 bucks or so?) and then the s-vid cable and you're good to go. The MBP should figure out the display settings and everything.

Not sure how old your TV is, just warning you that i've had issues hooking mine up to my tv, but it is also going through an RF adaptor. which makes all sorts of issues.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

macbook pro has built in DVI but all adaptors other than VGA are sold separately.

Sounds like you need a DVI - S Video, or DVI - Composite adapter(might be one and the same product, can't remember!). You can pick them up online or from brick Apple retail stores.

Don't expect the most amazing output though - VGA, HDMI and DVI offer the best quality.

4. antyboy thread starter macrumors newbie