MacBook Pro only connects to wireless network when it feels like it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmo19, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

I have a home wireless network. Some days when I open the MB Pro it sees the network and everything works great. Other days, not so much. Nothing changes with the router or network, and I am able to connect with other computers all the time. Why would this be so intermittent? Is there anything I can do? It's the newest model as of March this year.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Are you trying to connect from different spots because you could have low signal strength? Also check the router and make sure everything is working with that as that could be the culprit for this rather than the MBP. If that is still not working, try giving more specific information about when it is or isn't working.

3. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

No, it's sitting on my desk, right next to the router. Yesterday it connected fine, today it doesn't find the internet. Sometimes turning Airport off then on works, sometimes a complete reboot works, sometimes nothing works.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Hmmm....well have you tried reseting the router? If that doesn't work, I would try going to the library or some other place that you know has wifi and seeing if you can connect your MBP there. What you want to do is see if it is really the MBP or the router. If it is the MBP you are still under warranty so just take it...make a genius bar appointment and they will take care of it.

5. crewrules101 macrumors member

Issues

When your MBP is next to the router, I'm almost positive that it is not the fault of the MBP's lousy antenna. The issue could be a slow broadcast rate from the router. Also is the SSID set to broadcast? If it isnt, it could take a little while for your computer to see that the signal is actually there and then sign on to it. If the SSID is set to broadcast, the rate could be slow to where the MBP dosen't see it right away. Mine sometimes does this, but if you click on the wifi button in the menu bar, it should start to scan again. If not, log out and then log back in.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a late 2007 MBP. Wireless has always worked flawlessly. 10.5.7 destroyed my flawless streak. Connection was lousy, slow, but on the flip side, my computer ran noticeably cooler. I still don't get it. Just understand that mac's are just as good with wireless as they are with gaming :p

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

This seems like an all too common problem with the MBPs.

Here's one site and some comments about it (about halfway down it starts into the March 2009 time frame)
    http://blog.libinpan.com/2008/04/fix-new-macbook-pro-airport-problem/

I've had problems with my 2007 MBP and airport card for years. Various system updates either made it better or worse. 10.5.7 for me actually has been the best so far since 10.4.8.
    You might want to see if you can back up a version or two of Leopard and see if it helps (10.5.6 or 10.5.5).

Also as one of the final people on the linked blog mentioned, a OS archive and install might be all that is needed.

One other idea I can think depends on how old your router is. Are you broadcasting a mixed signal b&g or g&n. Maybe try just putting it to G and see if that helps at all as well.

Best of luck, as upinflames stated, the more info you can provide the easier it will be for others to help.