Macbook Pro only getting 3 hour battery life with minimal settings...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andyACEcandy, May 16, 2010.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I have the screen as dim as it can get. All I'm on is Airport with nothing else really going on and my battery life is only about 3 hours.

It used to be somewhere like 7 hours when I did this.... any idea if something could be wrong?

Coconut says I have 96% capacity left...

2. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

also for what is worth, ive only had 161 load cycles

3. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Not running a VM are you? When I start VM in Parallels it kills it, and I mean KILLS...

4. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't even know what a VM is.... so probably not? haha

Just tried calibrating..... 100% battery life with dimmest screen and it calculates battery at 3 hours 18 minutes.....

I have been charging my cell phone and PS3 controller using my macbook a few times. Could this be the cause?

5. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realized i had downloaded google chrome recently... when I use chrome, my battery life suucks. I went back to firefox, and it's back to the 5-7 hour mark. When I go to chrome, it drops to <3 hours...

6. yensteel macrumors regular

What happens if you go to safari? would it be the same as if you've used firefox?

7. Espionage32 macrumors regular

**** I only get 2hrs of battery! Sounds like i need a new battery.

8. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

no, sounds like you need to go to the genius bar tell them that the battery is almost dead and request (not ask - cos the costumer is unhappy) for a new-free battery. Try to open the activity monitor and look at the CPU usage and the RAM usage andwhen everything is still the same (at the minimum, like when u start the mac), try to wait.... those 2 hours and see if the battery really dies and then go to the genius bar ;)