MacBook Pro Only Rarely Using Intel Graphics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxMike, Aug 3, 2011.

1. MaxMike macrumors 6502

I have an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro (specs in signature) and it seems like it always uses the AMD graphics. I have it checked in System Preferences to automatically switch, and I also reset my PRAM earlier today to see if it would make a difference, and it did for a little while but now it went back to how it was. As I'm typing this, I'm on battery with iTunes, Safari, and Software Update running and it is still using the dedicated card. Is there anything else I should do to try to get it to be able to use the integrated graphics. I'm going on a 6 hour flight this month so I kinda need to stretch my battery life as far as it can go. Thanks for any help!

2. sunnyj macrumors 6502

why don't you turn automatic switching off that way it will only use the intel graphic card

3. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

4. thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

I had this issue, as well. Would turn the dedicated GPU on for even the most menial of tasks.
    Grab this;
    http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

Then you can force either one yourself. Job done! :)

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!

5. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

lol:cool:

6. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

If you turn it off, it says it will always use high-performance graphics. Which I assume means the dedicated card. I'll try installing that tool. It just seems like whenever I check the system report in Lion, it always says AMD Radeon. Like using full-screen iTunes, I checked, kicked on the dedicated card.

7. MaxMike thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that tool! Should really help me with my battery life. And with the 8GB RAM I just installed, 512MB of VRAM should be plenty for some light duty stuff while keeping battery use at a minimum.