MacBook Pro Open Item

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by armani, May 26, 2008.

1. armani macrumors regular

Hi, I would like to ask you for an advice. I have been to Best Buy and saw that they were selling MacBook Pro open box for 1699 CAD, new one is 2099CAD. What would you say about buying an open item? Best Buy was also trying to convince me to buy their service plan and said it was better than apple care plan, as they would replace a defective laptop with new one if anything wrong, while apple would replace it with refurb unit. I don't know it sounded weird. But the main point is, would you buy an open time or not?? I am a little hesitating, who knows why this laptop was returned to the store. They said it was in perfect condition, like new, just open box.:confused:

Thank you!

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i buy open items at best buy.
    i also buy refurbished item from apple store.

check the MBP first for any obvious physical defects.
    most of the times, these open items are returns from other customers.

some return them bec they changed their mind, wanted something else, or they simply don't like it.

in anycase, getting the service protection plan is a MUST for me if i'm getting an open item, the moment something happen to it, or if i discover a problem the next day, i can always return to best buy and ask for a replacement

so far, i have bought a camera, cam corder etc at best buy ( all open items) and i haven't encountered any problems yet

3. armani thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that is encouraging reply. At best buy they said if somebody returns an item and it is scratched or something, they won't take it back. But what surprises me that it is a $400 difference. :confused: Would you recommend going for Best Buy plan, $419 or Apple Care? I travel so global support is important. But best Buy says "if something happens, you repair and pay for it and bring the receipt to us and we will pay you back the money you spent on repairs".

4. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Some BB's will let you inspect what is in the open box to make sure it is ok and all components are there.

My BB usually has at least one or two open box MBP's around. The $400 difference makes no difference because I think they charge a restocking fee on returns after only a short period.

The BB warranty may be worth it. A few years ago I got a laptop there because they were running a 10% off with your BB card and 20% off accidental damage coverage for 3 years if put on your BB card. If it doesn't include accidental coverage and replacement for defect (not repair) it might be a good deal. The details matter since they change frequently as to what is covered and what they will do if there is a problem.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I've always been wary of Best Buy's extended warranties. It looks good on paper, but they are on and off about honoring them.

AppleCare will not replace your computer due to accidental damage, but Best Buy's warranty covers it.

Global support with AppleCare would be more reliable IMHO. If I were you, I would just get the AppleCare.

6. johnsy macrumors 6502

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I only recall a horror story where they sold him a NEW Macbook Pro and it turned out to be an OPEN ITEM with problems then they didn't have any NEW ones In Stock. I would imagine if it looks good physically and operates you would just REFORMAT and be happy.

8. armani thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I thought about that. I would reformat the laptop and install Leopard and everything I need from iMac. About BB plan.... one thing worries me. Anything can happen and what if BB won't be selling Macs anymore for various reasons, I wonder how would they honor their warranties and replace a laptop in case of a problem. The guys told me if for example something happens in two years time, I would get a current new model. All my friends who own MacBook Pro's or PowerBooks have never had any problems.

9. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I don't know how the current plans work, nor how the Canadian plans work, but it typically is a replacement plan. They give you a new equivalent of what you bought or cash (beware some are store credit). BB should have a brochure describing the details of the plans because they change frequently. Also Apples presence in Best buy is relatively new so the plans may not even apply to Apple hardware.

It also depends on what the BB plan covers and how it is covered if Applecare is better or not. The big one is accidental damage replacement. This part seems to less and less common (and not included in Applecare) so make sure you know EXACTLY what you are buying before you pay.

Also, in the US typically you have a grace period to come back to the store and buy the plan, but again discuss the details with a sales rep.

10. SamoanDude macrumors regular

No way in HELL I would buy a plam from Best Buy. Seen and heard too much. Apple care is the only way to go!

11. armani thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I had another plan in mind, which was to buy MacBook Pro at Amazon and buy an Apple Care Plan in Canada. In this case I would save $450 and Apple Care Plan would cover a brand new laptop for three years. Then I saw an open box MBP at BB and it got me thinking as I would pay just as much as if I bought the laptop at Amazon.

If I buy at BB and then try to register my laptop, what if the same laptop has already been registered by someone who had this laptop before? The guy at BB told me that if I buy Apple Care I would lose a month. That tells me that the laptop might have been registered already and in Apple database.

12. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Yes I bought my Apple Care on 2 of my Macs from Amazon to save tax. Nothing wrong with that at all, they are an authorized reseller.

13. armani thread starter macrumors regular

If I buy apple care on amazon (the price difference is $150) will I be able to register it with Canadian address? I think I need to have an address in US, otherwise I have to buy apple care in Canada. I don't remember what did I have to do with Apple Care when I got one for our iMac.

14. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

First, I'm going to assume you're in Canada. since you're talking about CDN prices.

So, unless BB/Futureshop have significantly changed thie extended warranty plans, I would stay away. The last one I had included a 60 day clause, meaning that they had 2 full months to try to fix my item before replacing it. That was an iPod, and it sucked being without my portable music. Would you go 60 days without your laptop?

Ordering a computer from Amazon could be tricky, since Amazon.ca doesn't sell computers. If you are in Canada, Amazon.com will see your Canadian address and won't complete the transaction.
    If you do manage to buy from Amazon.com and ship to Canada, you'll likely get hit at the border. GST, duty, brokerage fees, etc. That will eliminate your savings, and cause a delay in shipping. It would be better to support a local reseller or buy an Apple refurbished product.

As for the AppleCare question and whether it's activated, ask to check the serial number yourself. If it's an open box product, they should allow a peek.

15. armani thread starter macrumors regular

Buying from Amazon is easy as I have a PO Box in US. So I would just go and pick it up. I would not claim it on the border. To support a local reseller is a good point, but not the government which want 13% on all purchases. I am actually surprised and puzzled why Amazon does not charge any taxes :confused: Would anybody like to pay extra $400 in Canada for MBP and Apple Care? For those who live by the border it is a big question.

16. krye macrumors 68000

krye

As long as the warranty is good, then then there should be nothing to fear. Take it home and test EVERYTHING. Throw everything at it that you can think off and if nothing craps out, then it's good. If there's something wrong with it, just return it.