MacBook Pro Opinion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackajesusfreak, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

I never ever considered a Mac because of the price. My ignorance guided me to the logic of, 'a computer is a computer, why should I pay three times as much to buy a Mac?'

My brother had a MacBook Pro and is the kind of guy who has to have all the latest technology and bought a MacBook Air and sold me his Pro.

I am now beginning to see the huge benefits of the Mac! :D

Jack

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Welcome to the Mac! I made the switch about 5 months ago and I'm kicking myself...

...wish I would've done it years ago! :)

However, I couldn't get completely away from Windows. My work requires me to have minimal access to certain features I can only gain through Windows. Therefore, I just recently 'Boot Camped' Windows 7 Ultimate to my MBP. I couldn't be any happier with my current setup. I know this is heresy in a Mac Forum, but Windows 7 is very stable and reminds me a lot of the Mac OS (in terms of stability).

Windows still doesn't have the security and seamless integration with the hardware that Apple provides. However, I'm now running 2 very capable operating systems on 1 machine with absolutely zero issues!

Again, welcome to the Mac!

Cosmo

3. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

I've heard that same critique on Windows 7. Would I be able to get Windows 7 on my Pro? How would I do so?
    Jack

4. simsaladimbamba

Purchase a Windows 7 license and run Boot Camp Assistant to create another partition and install Windows. There are plenty of guides out there, but I know, this is a forum and you don't like to read Wikis or similar informative, already available content.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

As mentioned, get a fully licensed version of Windows 7. Then run Boot Camp Assistant. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to do it. I watched maybe 20 different ones...funny, each video would show a small detail left out by others. I was completely clueless on how to do it, but after watching a few videos on it, I learned how Boot Camp Assistant works.

It really isn't hard at all, and if you go to the Windows on a Mac thread, I made a mini guide on what process I actually went through.

If you need windows on your MBP, get Windows 7 I'm very impressed with it... Of course, I only use it for work related stuff and try hard to stay off the internet...and I don't check email with it (avoiding PC viruses)!

Cosmo

6. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

thanks cosmo. not sure if i want to burn 100 bucks for it yet. I really don't need it, although it would be nice to have it on my netbook.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

also if you dont feel like "partitioning your drive" you can run OSX right on your OSX.. what i mean is no bootcamp...
    yes you would have to burn money (unless you get Virtual Box by Sun- more on that later)
    this technology is called "desktop virtualization"
    im planning to use this to have Windows XP (for business purposes) and to try Chrome OS :p

there are three main one that people recommend:
    Virtualbox (Free but not as "top notch" according to some tech people)

VMware Fusion (very stable releases, runs smoothly [but according to a youtube video- not as great with graphics rendering])

Parallel Desktop for MAC [greatest incorporation of Mac things such as the multi touch gesture!- but the releases are horrible, with many people saying that it has too many bugs and quirks :()

im still stuck on which to get. i wanted Virtualbox cuz its free 9and who hates free stuf?????!!!!?) than i switched my mind to Parallel cuz of the whole "multi touch and the amazingness!" and than to VMWare since its a bit cheaper and stabler releases.
    now my mind is confused if any one can help me (im starting ot lean towards VirtalBox again)..
    my only use of XP is this program (which doesnt work on that one program that can run Windows Programs in OSX (the paid brother of WINE- forget its name)
    so i just monitor my employees and the business i run. it has to do with camera systems and rendering the live screen (from the internet over wifi) so...if you are confused please comment

but ot hte OP if it isnt any "serious serious" work, i would say a virtual machine is very nice

*PS VMware and Parallels has bootcamp support meaning they can run bootcamp partitions without you having ot restart the computer...

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I hated dropping extra coin for the Windows 7 software, but I know this computer will now serve all my needs for a long time. I usually keep my laptops for 3 years regardless. I'm confident that this computer will be running like a sewing machine 3 years from now...unlike my previous PC based laptops that turned into dogs after 6 months.

Plus, if and when I do upgrade my MBP...I can take Windows 7 with me to the new Mac! :)

Cosmo