Macbook Pro optical bay second hard drive conversion problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidtheskier, Jul 17, 2012.

1. davidtheskier macrumors newbie

Sorry in advance for the long description, this has been a real mystery to me (and Apple) and I'm hoping you guys can help.

In summary, I did the optical bay HD conversion on my MBP. The hard drive in my optical bay (1TB Samsung 5400 rpm drive) keeps disappearing from my desktop (and from my computer entirely), which leaves my computer unusable (because my home folder is stored on that drive). I got some sort of S.M.A.R.T. error just before the hard drive disappeared.

In detail, here is what has happened:
    I bought one of the new (still current) 2012 MBP's (2.3 Ghz quad core i7, 16GB Ram) and did the OWC optical drive conversion. I have a 250GB Crucial M4 SSD in my normal HD spot, and took the 1TB 5400 rpm drive out of my old computer (that was working fine for the past year) and put that in the optical bay spot. I have the newest OS (10.7.4) and applications installed on the SSD, and my home folder (containing my music, desktop, photos, etc) installed on the 1TB drive that is in my optical bay.

Everything worked great for about a week, then suddenly the 1TB drive disappeared from my desktop (and my computer entirely) and the computer forced me to do a restart. The computer was not hot, being moved, dropped, nothing, at the time of this happening. When I tried to restart the computer, I only got a black screen. I tried everything including resetting PRAM, different RAM, putting in a new OWC kit, etc. Nothing worked so I took out the OWC kit, got the computer back to factory condition and took it to the Apple store. They said the logic board/ graphics card was bad so I exchanged it for another one.

In the meantime while the new one was being shipped to me, I put the same OWC conversion (250GB Crucial M4 in the normal HD spot, 1TB 5400 drive in the optical bay spot) into my old 2011 quad core MBP. Everything worked perfectly! So I knew it wasn't the hard drive, etc. Then, after about a week (similar time period as the first time), the same thing happened. The HD in the optical bay spot disappeared and the computer was useless. But this time, the screen still worked (it wasn't just black).

My new 2012 MBP replacement came the same day it failed so I took both drives out of that 2011 MBP and put them into my new replacement 2012 MBP. Everything worked perfectly again! I then put my old hard drive and optical drive back into my 2011 MBP (restoring it to factory condition) and IT TOO worked perfectly again. So this time, it must not have fried the logic board/ graphics card.

Now, it happened today a 3rd time on my new, replacement 2012 MBP. Each time it happens, it happens about 1-2 weeks after I set everything up. I have a Temperature Monitor installed and this time I got a S.M.A.R.T. error notification (the notification may have been from the temp monitor, I'm not sure) saying something like one of the SMART sensors went offline or something, then a few seconds later the 1TB drive (that's in my optical bay) disappeared and my computer forced me to shut the computer down. This time, unlike the previous times, when I restarted my computer- both drives were there again, working fine, and everything seemed totally normal. I am worried this will keep happening and only get worse.

From what I have gathered- I have ruled out RAM, the OWC optical bay conversion kit, and the computer being at fault. Maybe the 1TB SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB drive I have is starting to go bad? Or maybe it's not compatible in some way? Or maybe I have installed something improperly?

I am hoping you guys can help me (and anyone else that will have this problem in the future). Thanks in advance!

2. Rajpdx macrumors regular

I think the drive is starting to fail. If you saw a SMART warning then it's even more reasonable to presume this.

Your best bet would be to get another HDD and copy the data across. Your setup sounds optimal otherwise - so no reason it shouldn't work.

3. davidtheskier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Are there any disk utilities (besides the one that comes with the Mac) to see if the HD is in fact failing? Is there anything else I should check or try? I use my computer around the clock and will be screwed if it decides to die again one of these days...

Is there anyone else that wants to weigh in?

4. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

HD Tune.Thats the typical behavior of failing HDD.

5. davidtheskier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. Looks like HD Tune is just for Windows though. Is there anything for a Mac that you'd recommend to diagnose a possible failing HD on a Mac to make sure it actually IS the drive?

6. davidtheskier thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded SMART Utility for Mac and it says both hard drives are fine...?

7. Bsmyth macrumors newbie

similar problem

Did you sort out this problem? I recently did an OWC optical bay conversion on my MBP and am having almost identical problems. I'm using 2 Crucial M4 SSD's and the one in the optical bay spot is giving my constant problems. unmounting from the desktop, not copying files properly, causing programs to crash if I'm working on files stored on it and just making the computer run poorly.

The drive and the computer were working perfectly fine before I installed the OWC optical bay conversion kit . It seems to me that that must be the problem.

Please let me know if you sorted out your issues and if so how.