Macbook Pro optical drive noise issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underminedsk, Jan 28, 2009.

1. underminedsk macrumors newbie

Hey,

I own a new MBP (October 2008 model) and just two days ago my optical drive has started making weird noises whenever I bring my computer out of sleep. It makes a noise like it is ejecting a disk three times, about once a second for 3 seconds.

This is really annoying, especially when I use my computer to take notes during lecture because everyone looks to see who is the douchebag with the noisy computer disrupting class...

Any suggestions?

thanks

2. underminedsk thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind, I just put a CD into the drive and ejected it and it has seemed to fix the problem. Still weird though. Anyone know why it happened?

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

My drive has been making the sound randomly (as well as on reboots, when I start at Parallels VM, and when I open Disk Utility.) This started happening after I installed the 10.5.6 update.

4. ox4dboy macrumors newbie

I hear the same noise every time Parallels starts - it's as if Parallels is looking for a CD to boot from or eject before starting?

Surprised not many other people have posted about this.

5. jsl1360 macrumors newbie

i had the same problem

I download whatever the update was to remove the noise. it removed the noise but only from wake up from sleep not on start up. then one day i dropped my phone on my computer from a height of about two inches and the noise came back. I inserted a cd into the drive just on suspicion and for the sake of messing around - and the noise was gone after ejecting the cd. it came back once but i did this and it worked again. hopefully the noise just wont come back. btw, any cd will work i just used a 360 game and i hope it works for everyone i dread the fear of taking my computer into the store and seeing it taken from me to be "worked on"