MacBook Pro Optical Drive Tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Balin64, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hi all. I normally get a new Mac laptop every two years or so. I was about to upgrade to a new MacBook Pro and sell my trusty 2.4 Ghz to a friend. But, the optical drive is going. It will burn CDs and DVD's about 70 percent of the time, but it will not read recorded discs: DVD's, CD's, etc.

I guess it's better it happened while I still own it because I would have felt bad if it broke on my friend after she bought it. Anyway, is there a safe way to replace it on my own? Any of you have done a swap before? I am pretty handy and once opened a G3 Pismo. Any tips, links or advice would be greatly appreciated and many thanks!

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

this repair is pretty simple I watched my friend knock it out in about 20 minutes with no issues.
    He bought a cheap drive off ebay for around 50 dollars

3. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Many Thanks

For the link, and the tip. You guys are great.

4. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Actually...

After following the link, it is to a newer MBP. I have the Core Duo 2.4 Ghz model. The one before the unibody came out. Any idea if that is end-user serviceable? Thanks.

5. simsaladimbamba

6. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Thank you for the quick response. It looks a little daunting but I think I can pull it off.