Macbook Pro or 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bogie, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Bogie macrumors regular

Yeah I know this is a weird contrast, but hear me out. I'm a filmmaker but I won't be going into production on my next film until the Fall of 2009. Right now I'd like to have a laptop for writing, but I know in the future I'm also going to need a high definition editing machine. I really like the form factor of the 12" powerbooks since they seem perfect for writing, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just dig deep with that extra 1,000 or so and get the macbook pro now? What do you all think?

2. jmack549 macrumors 6502

If it's within reason, I'd say go ahead and get the MBP now. You will end up losing more money buying the Powerbook, reselling it later, and buying a MBP. If it's a huge stretch, just get the Powerbook.

3. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

I would not recommend buying a mac with a powerpc unless you have a legacy app that is not universal binary. The form factor of the 12" PB is nice, but you can always go with a 13" MB if you need the smaller form factor vs. a 15" MBP.

4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

PPC machines, especially laptops, have already lost a lot of value and don't have a lot further to go, IMHO. I'd say find a sweet deal on a 12" now and get the MBP when you need it/can afford it. You won't lose much on the 12", and it will feel like you're getting a new laptop twice! :)

5. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I was also considering the Asus eeePC, but I think the keyboard would be too small for me. Basically if I go the low(er) dollar route I just want a solid machine for typing and surfing the internet. That's it. If I go the high dollar route, I want a machine that can handle editing 1080P video.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Would you be doing the video editing yourself in 2009 when your film goes into production? The thing to consider is that a machine you purchase new today will be 2 years old by the time you really need its full power. Although a 2 year old MBP will probably still be quite a capable machine, you may want to consider going the cheap route right now if all you're going to be doing is writing and saving up to get the latest and greatest once 2009 rolls around. Who knows what the MBP will have advanced to by then?

7. jwt macrumors 6502

What he said. Plus, 2 years from now, machines will have much more capability to do HD, and they may even have HD-DVD/Bluray drives in them.

I have a 12" powerbook and it does everything you've described well except HD video. I love the form factor.

8. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

So do you suppose I could find a reasonably well equipped powerbook for around 550? I was thinking of posting a WTB in the marketplace. Obviously it'd need wifi too. Also, do the 12" PB's have the light up keys or was that only on the bigger models?

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Only the bigger models.

A 12" PB is a great thing. Buy a new machine in 2009 when you need it.

10. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

If you want to save money why buy a powerbook? I know you like the form factor but I think your wasting your money. Try looking for an old macbook- refurbished, or maybe on ebay- but I'm sure its a better deal than the powerbook.

11. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Wait on power until you need power. Fall 2009 is a long ways off, your Macbook Pro will be old and busted by then.

12. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I had a 12" 1.5Ghz PowerBook at one point along with a 2Ghz CD MacBook Pro. For a while I was in love with the 12" but in the end I went back to the MBP because the screen was so much better and the 12" ran impossibly hot. Battery life on the 12" wasn't all that great either. For writing, I definitely recommend the MBP, and the keyboard lights up which is really a nice feature. The trackpad is better too. Sort of sorry to see the 12" go but it hadn't kept up with the other PowerBooks so felt really old compared with the MBP when that came along.

13. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You said you wanted this laptop primarily for writing in the next two years. You are correct in thinking that the eeePC has WAYYYY too small of a keyboard to do this comfortably. Plus, the 7" screen will drive you insane when you go back to edit your writing. Further, it has 4GB of flash memory, and less than 2GB is free for you to store your data on. The eeePC may be a fun second laptop, but this should NOT be your primary writing machine even at the low price.

I agree with both of these posts. Buy the power when you need the power. First off, if you buy the MBP now when you need it in two years, you have TWO YEARS to break it or to have it break on its own before you need it. Secondly, if you buy the MBP now, it may run slower in two years, or in the least it will be noticeably slower to the current machines. Further, there may be important advances for your needs in the next two years (I would bet on it), and you might want or NEED a newer machine (HD much?). And in any event, you could buy a used or refurbished MBP in 2009 of a model that hasn't even come out yet (did I just blow your mind?).

For the record, I found a 1.5Ghz 12" powerbook on craigslist for $550. So, they're out there. I also found someone trying to sell the same model for $950. So, that's craigslist.

Good luck on your future endeavors,

Ado

14. ryanmcd02 macrumors member

I just bought a 12" powerbook for similar reasons. My plan was to buy a good enough powerbook now that I will still be willing to use it for portability reasons and I won't feel bad keeping it when I buy my 15" MBP later on (I am ridding of a 14" iBook). People seem to be satisfied with leopard on a 1.5 GHz, 1.25 RAM PB for your purposes.

From my economic perspective, money spent on capital is always "rent". You always pay for what you currently have on a per-day basis. So if you own a better computer than you need for almost two years you need it, you will pay for that even though you won't utilize it. So I would say wait until you need it.

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Buy a 13" MacBook now, and a 30" iMac quadcore with Blueray burner in a couple of years.

16. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Buy the PowerBook now, put the money saved into a CD or the market and buy the power when you need it. I'm still running my 15" 1.25GHz PowerBook with 1.25GB of RAM and for your needs, there is plenty of power here.

17. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Macbook Pro or 12" Powerbook

I continue to use my PowerMac G4 12". It has a good form factor.

I am waiting to buy my next Mac when a Mac ultralight portable is introduced.

There is a lot of speculation that an ultraportable, 3 lbs rather than 5 or more, will be released at MacWorld in SF, January, 2008.

Definitely advise waiting until them.

Think of how good you'll feel to be carrying a breakthrough Mac laptop.