Macbook Pro or 30 inch monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    OK, I know this SOUNDS like bragging or whatever, but please trust me, it isn't, and I do need help.

    I have 1800.

    A:

    15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, I'd like this for obvious portability, and even if I could afford the 17", I'd prefer the 15" as it's smaller and more portable (the reason I want it)... then after a while, I'd get another 30".

    B:

    Another 30", OK, so this is coming regardless, but it is 1400$, which leaves me 400, but not enough to get a portable for quite a while... this 400 would just be saved until I can afford a mbp.

    Help me make my decision please, right now I'm leaning towards the MBP, as it just seems... better... more glam than another 30"

    Anyway, I'm really valuing your opinion here, so cheers.

    Charlie
     
  2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #2
    According to your signature you already made your choice.
    on the other hand I would go for the laptop.
     
  3. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
  4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

    11800506

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Washington D.C. Area
    #4
    I would definitely get the Macbook Pro. It'll be more useful even if you just want to surf the internet around the house. Then later, you can get the extra monitor.
     
  5. jciapara macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    #5
    I would also go for the MBP, since you already have a Monitor and you're fine with it so far, I guess you can still wait longer to get the extra monitor. A laptop is really helpful due to it's portability, I don't know what you really need the laptop for, but go for it!

    Cheers!
     
  6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    #6
    Hey, aren't you that kid who was bragging a few weeks back about getting a 30" Dell monitor? I would think that 1 would be enough after only a few weeks. That being said, get a MBP, but wait a few more weeks and think about it. Don't just waste your money. Maybe go for just a regular Macbook
     
  7. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #7
    For my needs.. I've thought it through, a Macbook won't suffice.
     
  8. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #8
    Wait until they both get updated. Besides that, MBP for sure
     
  9. Expired macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2008
    #9
    I'd go with the MacBook Pro, I'd rather have a new computer which provides portability than a secondary display. It's only really necessary if you need portability though.
     
  10. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

    drummerlondonw3

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #10
    I followed your last thread about getting the 30incher with some interest!
    I know this is off topic but if you can afford it I suppose its your choice and certainly a great opportunity that most on this forum would be jealous of.

    I personally think that the MBP would be better because simply it is a far more versatile machine. I am interested though why the macbook wouldnt be suitable? you have you macpro for intensive why not go macbook? Also have you considered a macbook air?

    A final note Charlie, I know that you are 14 (and this is not about what equipment you have or the age at which you are buying it) but I do think that some of your language used could be more 'sympathetic' when talking so casually about things that other people find so hard to finance. I know some people on here will flame you for even having the options to buy these but for those that maybe a more lenient tone would be better?

    I hope that last note doesnt come across as anything other than well mannered advice, its certainly not a flame.

    D:apple:
     
  11. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #11
    Hi drummerlondon.

    I think your right, I need the macbook pro, as I'd still do intensive things on it whilst away from home, the macbook air, if I were to buy it, is just too much for what it gives, I'm not in a position where portability is that important, that said, I'm not flaming it or anything, it's a great machine, just not built for me. I did debate with myself about the Macbook, but ended up landing on the Macbook Pro after carefully weighing the pros and cons.

    I'd like everybody to know, that I'm not some kid just buying the best because he can, I AM weighing out everything, this is a BIG purchase for me... don't think that I'm taking it for granted. Trust me... I know some people find it harder to finance. I'm not wasting my money, this technology DOES benefit me. Sorry if the last thread sounded like bragging... I didn't mean it to.

    And sorry for sounding like it was casual, please do trust me on this, that this is most definitely NOT a casual affair.

    And that note definitely wasn't taken badly, infact I'm glad you said it, it opened my eyes slightly.

    I hope if/when I do make a thread about buying a mbp, I don't have to use as many smiles per sentence :rolleyes:

    Anyway, I will try and think about mbp/mb again, but I do think I sort of settled on the MBP. Anyway... I guess I'll wait for the updates.

    Also, I haven't been reading the portable update stuff for a while, is there any chance at a price drop, or are they updating too much to drop it a bit?
     
  12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

    drummerlondonw3

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #12
    hi charlie,

    I'm glad you took it as it was meant, a good response in my book! :)

    As a MBP owner myself I completely agree its the sweet spot between the 3 machines - power and versatility

    The MBPs are due an update, as in fact is all portables, however as it is likely that this will be a redesign and spec bump I dont anticipate any changes in price. On the last MBP update (when I bought) there was no major price drop but obviously as the specs increase you 'save' money on the specs relative to the last model

    Case design is always a contentious issue and this could be something for you to capitalize on and save some serious cash. If the current specs meet your needs and the new case design isn't something you go 100% for then you get a end of line of the current model.

    I know that the keyboard is highly likely to get an update and a tapering design is also likely. For me I feel that the MBA (i.e. the donor) is superior but there are plenty of people on here that think the current kb is one of the best ever made - seriously!

    I always think that when you are lucky enough to be buying around an update its so much more exciting, I personally waited for the multi-touch and the LED screens, but I think you should really think about what specs exactly are important to you

    d:apple:
     
  13. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #13
    Well.. I wouldn't like to lose out on the updates, even if it'll only be a small one, because of my impatience. So I think that I will wait. It could in fact be tomorrow (Tuesday). It's possible.
     
  14. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

    tsice19

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2008
    #14
    What exactly do you do? That might further allow this question to be answered.
     

Share This Page