macbook pro or air (again again sorry)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hks777, Sep 19, 2011.

1. hks777, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

hks777 macrumors newbie

hello

what do you think that i should buy ? macbook pro (base model 15 inch) or macbook air (i5 13 inch 256 gb)

i am going to use it for:
    notes/school work
    bootcamp
    a bit of gaming(rift)
    photo edits (raw files)
    a bit of programming

i have some pros and cons(that is important for me):
    air: pros
    weight /thin
    ssd drive
    a bit less glossy display(?)

air:cons
    no dvd drive
    no optical out

pro: pros:)p)
    powerful
    dvd drive
    optical out

pro:cons
    size/weight ( i think it might be to big? i come from a 10 inch netbook)
    more glossy display(?)
    old model(?)

i am in bit of hurry because the gift card stops tomorrow and i would like to get that;)

(i am sorry about my english)

2. Invisible Elf macrumors member

You're going to be cramped for space if you're going to use bootcamp in addition to saving raw files on the MBA. I'd say go for MBP if bootcamp is important for you.

3. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

The problem here is that you're comparing a MBA with a MBP 15", which are totally different machines. The MBP 15" is a bulky, heavy, powerful, hardly-portable desktop replacement.

So in order to decide on this, you need to address: "How important is portability for you?" and "What do you favor: portability or raw power?". Based on that, you can make your decision.

4. hks777, Sep 19, 2011

hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am going edit the raw files then move them to my extern hdd.
    bootcamp is very important

5. kulimer macrumors 6502

6. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

i compare mba(256 gb) and mbp 15 inch because they are nearly same price and because the 13 inch is not an option because the res.

i am not sure how important portability is. i would like a light pc but i don't know if can get used to a 15 inch again. (i should never had tried to fell the weight of the air:p)

the only raw power "upgrade" i need is the gpu from a mba to a mbp, but i think everday use is going be faster on the air

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

it depends the macbook air is light and pretty powerful but the HD may be an issue. Do you have a desktop pc you could use that is more powerful?

8. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but only in the weekends, the most important is bootcamp, is 256 gb too small for that?

9. halledise, Sep 19, 2011

halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    be happy then

did you ever stop to think why on earth it is discounted by a full 33% ?
    and how many $ you will need to spend on software and anti-viral + anti bloatware 'programs'

have fun back in windows land ;)
    (that is one ugly fat peecee)

to the OP - it all comes down to weight - both machines you specify are equally snappy and the Air will handle your detailed uses.
    personally I'd opt for the standard 13" Air with 128gb flash storage, bootcamp partition it in half, then similarly partition an external HDD for all your projects.

alternatively, give it a couple of months and see what Apple release in the way of MBPros by Christmas time

10. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

that would be two 50 gb partition right?
    and i don't wanna wait anymore, i have had a slow netbook with ubuntu for 2,5 years now(and yeah it sucks:mad:)

11. KPOM macrumors G5

It would be about 2 60GB partitions. Actually when running Boot Camp Assistant, you would divide them into 2 "56GB" partitions. The actual SSD is about 121GB, but Boot Camp Assistant uses the Windows base 1024 method (vs OS X's base 1000 method), which makes the drive appear to be just over 112GB.

That said, it really depends on what you need to use Windows for. If you don't use encryption, you can create a third partition for shared data (format that partition in ExFAT, which both OSes can read and write to), and minimize the size of your Windows partition to what is necessary to install Windows and your applications. However, if you can afford the 256GB version (which is really 251GB), then that would make it a lot easier since you can give each OS plenty of room in which to work.

12. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

the bootcamp is for rift (8 gb) and some other smaller programs. i can afford the 256 gb and i do think it is needed for bootcamp

13. FnKev macrumors newbie

I would save go for the MBP based on your needs as well. If I could only have one I would rather have the more powerful machine.

14. stark4 macrumors 6502

if you are gonna be taking it to the class everyday DON'T get the 15"

i took my 15" to the lecture room one time and People sitting next to me can't see the professor because my MBP screen is too big. And it's super heavy. get 13" MBA. i'm buying it tomorrow to replace my 15" pro.

15. rondo22 macrumors newbie

I agree for class you will definitely want the MBA. I have an 11" MBA and 15" MBP and if I had the choice in college would have taken the 13" everyday. the 15" is large and wouldn't be great in class, however, awesome at home. Tough call but I think you would be happy with the 13' MBA

16. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am going to be taking it to class every day

17. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

my deadline is around 14 00 gmt (sorry about the stress;))

18. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Then there only ONE sensible option: the MBA. Carrying around a MBP 15" on a daily basis will totally be a painful experience.

19. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am not going to carry it so much, a bit(like 5min) to the school and back and then i stay in the same classroom all day,but in the weekends i am going to carry it a lot more

20. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd just get the Air. It sounds like that's the one you really want. Remember that it's about as powerful as the 2010 15" MacBook Pro (apart from the GPU). You still have 14 days to change your mind if you decide it isn't enough. From what people have said here in the past, you wouldn't need to return the gift card if you simply exchange it for a Pro later on.

22. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thank you

yes it is the one i want.
    later i am going to a shop to fell the weight off the 15 inch

23. hks777 thread starter macrumors newbie

it was not so bad the weight ok what now??

24. KPOM macrumors G5

Buy one of them. :)

There's a huge difference between the Air and the Pro when you carry it around for a while. I'd go for the Air, but that's likely the advice you'll get in this forum. Everything you plan to run should be fine on the Air.

25. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I realize this is off-topic, and honestly, given the choice, I would use OS X and Macs over Windows 7 (which isn't that bad) and non-Apple manufacturer, but I wanted to point out that you could get by with just 2 anti-virus/malware programs, both of which are free, unless you really like visiting those shady sites out there.

You would have to spend money on the mac too for software, so that's kind of a moot point...

Thinkpads really aren't that bad, it's not going to win a beauty contest anytime soon, but it's a pretty solid productive machine. Now, if you were talking about an Acer...