Macbook Pro or Air For Profesional Video Editing???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manoharapinot, Jul 2, 2014.

1. manoharapinot macrumors newbie

Ok, I know MacBook Pro is more powerful in many ways
    but I am planning on travelling around the world and editing (heavy edition, needs really good processor, memory, graphics) and a macbook air would be more convenient (for its smaller)

is it possible to use final cut pro x or adobe premiere cs55 WITHOUT crashing or delays using macbookair or is the usage on macbook pro way better?

it has to be fast.. i just havent used macbook air before and even though i know t stech spechs i wa slooking for someone here that has experience with one of them or both!
    Thanks[​IMG]:)

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

With the quad core CPU and discrete GPU, the MBP will have much better render times. Even without the discrete GPU, the quad core CPU will still be so much better. I will still recommend that if you get the MBP, you should get the nvidia 750 GPU.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

What 'heavy editing' is lies in the eye of the beholder.

Real heavy stuff should be done on a desktop, like a nMP imo.

Nevertheless the mba should work for HD without special effects.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Depends how far the scope of your editing goes.

I know someone who is a freelance editor, and while most of the time the laptop is only used for Motion work as the editing is done on the client's desktop, sometimes he also edits, grades and produces graphics and rostrum on the laptop. (An early 2011 MBP with only the iGPU working, no less)

For HD editing, honestly a top end MBA would probably suffice. Render times will be slower, but it's not that taxing in all honesty. Avid even have the top end MBA as one of their recommended computers for editing.

However, if you're going to be using something like Davinci Resolve as well for grading, and working with multi-layered Photoshop documents, the Intel HD 5000 may not be powerful enough - but then again, no laptop will really be powerful enough. It's really designed to use a desktop. The Iris Pro or discrete Nvidia GPU will make a big difference however.

Having said all this, the rMBP is a very capable machine, and I'd probably go for either the 13" for portability, or 15" depending on what other programmes you'll be running. The MBA is nice, but for the money, the rMBP provides more power with only slightly less portability.

5. RDStrong macrumors member

In the Davinci Resolve manual it recommends the top spec retina MBP, so keep that in mind.