Macbook Pro or Air welded DIMM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhoffstadt, Oct 27, 2015.

1. lhoffstadt macrumors member

lhoffstadt

hi all, Im planning to buy an used or maybe a new Macbook Pro or maybe a Macbook Air, I have not yet decides this, but a received a comment that some of the Macbook Pro comes with welded DIMMs, not sure if this is true or this also applies to Macbook Air.

Due to budget issues I think I will buy a entry based model, maybe a Macbook Pro with only 4GB of DIMMs, but if the welded DIMMs is true, what models or years of Macbook I need to avoid so in the future I want to add more DIMM to this Macbook.

Thanks for any recommendation.

Luis

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

The only model with upgradeable RAM is non retina MacBook Pro, everything else after that point has soldered RAM, you don't really have much option, you can either go with old models for upgradeable RAM or go with newer models and be stuck with the amount of RAM you ordered.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The MacBook Air and retina MacBook Pro have never had upgradeable RAM. The retina MacBook isn't upgradeable either.

If you want to be able to upgrade the RAM, you need to buy a non-retina MacBook Pro.

4. lhoffstadt thread starter macrumors member

lhoffstadt

thank you all for this confirmation. So, if I want more DIMM, stay away from Retina

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Also Air.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You pretty much need to stay away from nearly all of Apple's laptops as noted. Instead of avoid specific models, upgrade the Mac you want at purchase time.