Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
I'm 15 and will only have 777 dollars. I want to buy a MacBook Pro or air to edit GoPro videos. I know I need 4gb of ram and need at least 13 in screen for resolution. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to buy one that they are pretty sure it isn't a scam. I know eBay and amazon is good sources but I'm looking for others. I also don't agree with craigslist. Please send me links to a computer. I don't have the money right now but will sell things and plan on having near that amount. Thank you.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Ebay is your best bet. However, you don't have the money right now so any link provided (no matter the source) will most certainly be gone by the time you are ready to purchase.

Get your funds in order first and you should have no problem finding what you are looking for.

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Ebay is your best bet. However, you don't have the money right now so any link provided (no matter the source) will most certainly be gone by the time you are ready to purchase.

Get your funds in order first and you should have no problem finding what you are looking for.

I'm talking like websites that have a good quantity of macs. I know that eBay will come and go with macs.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I'm talking like websites that have a good quantity of macs. I know that eBay will come and go with macs.

You aren't getting it. Anyone selling the product you are requesting for your specified price is going to be selling used. Any used reseller turns over inventory quickly. We are talking used Macbook prices here - not stocked new inventory prices.

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
You aren't getting it. Anyone selling the product you are requesting for your specified price is going to be selling used. Any used reseller turns over inventory quickly. We are talking used Macbook prices here - not stocked new inventory prices.

Exactly. Used. Not new. If I wanted new i would have said. There are websites out there that sell used ones. I'm just seeing if anyone knows a good one. It's a long shot although it is worth a shot.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Exactly. Used. Not new. If I wanted new i would have said. There are websites out there that sell used ones. I'm just seeing if anyone knows a good one. It's a long shot although it is worth a shot.

Even used, you will be limited by your budget. Macs retain a lot more of their retail value compared to other machines, so you're looking at a low end MacBook Air and/or 13" MacBook Pro at most. There's just not a significant enough markdown in the used Mac market to get anything more powerful. You could go with an older model that was higher-end at the time, but it won't be as big a performer as newer models.

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Even used, you will be limited by your budget. Macs retain a lot more of their retail value compared to other machines, so you're looking at a low end MacBook Air and/or 13" MacBook Pro at most. There's just not a significant enough markdown in the used Mac market to get anything more powerful. You could go with an older model that was higher-end at the time, but it won't be as big a performer as newer models.

I don't need perfect brother. I'm not looking for perfect. But I am looking the best thing I can get with the price range. I've found a 2011 in good shape. 4gb of ram. It's perfect for a 15 year old.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014

Are we playing a game here? Back to what I originally stated, used inventory turns over very quickly so even if you find something today within your limited budget, you don't have the funds to buy. It will be gone by the time you do have the funds.

Therefore, get your funds in order and then come back for guidance.

Deja-vu?

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Are we playing a game here? Back to what I originally stated, used inventory turns over very quickly so even if you find something today within your limited budget, you don't have the funds to buy. It will be gone by the time you do have the funds.

Therefore, get your funds in order and then come back for guidance.

Deja-vu?

This used inventory has been going for 3 months. I think it can wait a week. I think you are trying to prove me wrong when I've know what I've been taking about. I would like this thread to stay on subject.

----------

Just like niteflyr

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
The power of the laptop you need to edit GoPro videos depends on the editing program you use. The iMovie 9.0.9 program that came with iLife '11 will work fine on a Mac with only 2GB of RAM and only an Intel 2 Core Duo processor. Some slightly dated versions of Adobe Premier Elements should also work fine with 2GB of RAM. 4GB is needed for the latest version (Elements 12).

Bryson04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
The power of the laptop you need to edit GoPro videos depends on the editing program you use. The iMovie 9.0.9 program that came with iLife '11 will work fine on a Mac with only 2GB of RAM and only an Intel 2 Core Duo processor. Some slightly dated versions of Adobe Premier Elements should also work fine with 2GB of RAM. 4GB is needed for the latest version (Elements 12).

Thank you for the suggestion. I will be using cineform for gopro. Consumer grade version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.