Macbook Pro or iMac for Aperture?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gregvet, Jan 21, 2008.

1. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Hi guys, my first post so please be kind!

I currently have an old eMac, served me very well, but i want to start using Aperture and it wont run on this machine.

I was all set on getting the 24" iMac, but due to work I now need to get a new laptop, as my aging (but much loved) Pizmo is really not up to much anymore!

Is there any/much difference in running aperture on the 15" MBP compared with the 24"iMac? I cannot decide whether to get a Macbook for the work side of things and upgrade the eMac to an iMac when funds allow, or get a specced up Macbook Pro and use that as my main machine.
    As I see it, the main advantage to the MBP is the lack of glossy screen. However i am quite happy to get a second display if/when I get an iMac so that need not be a major issue.

I will get the higher education discount plus tax rebate on the laptop, but most likely not on the imac.

Any thoughts?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I've used Aperture on my MBP (2.33, 2gigs ram, 256MB GPU), on a 24" iMac (2.33, 3 gigs of RAM, 256MB GPU), an Al 24" iMac (2.4, 2gigs of RAM), and my G5 (Dual 2.5, 5gigs of RAM, xt800 gpu). Pretty much all of them run the same, the G5 having the slight advantage, due to the 10K drive I have in there. My MBP runs Aperture about as well as the iMacs.

I'd suggest you get the MBP, and a larger screen to work on in the future.