MacBook Pro or iMac for Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chrisg2014, Dec 4, 2011.

?

You should get a...

1. 27in- iMac

70.0%
  2. 17in-MacBook Pro

10.0%
  3. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mac Pro (but it's on the very expensive side...)

25.0%
  1. Chrisg2014 macrumors regular

I really like to make videos, I'm in a class at school and I'm pretty good at it. We use iMacs and Final Cut and Stuff like that. Now my dad owns his own business and he wants me to shoot some videos of installation stuff. I'm not allowed to use any of school's stuff, so we're(by we're I mean work and not use for my personal use) are gonna buy a new computer and Final Cut because my MB wouldn't be able to run Final Cut looking at the specs. So should we get a Macbook Pro or a 27in -iMac, for the same price on the iMac I can get double the RAM and 250Gb more on the iMac. Should we just get that? What is your Opinion?

2. simsaladimbamba

Is mobility an issue? If so, get the MBP.
    Btw, upgrading RAM on the iMac and MBP is easy and much less expensive than Apple's price.
    You can get 8 GB RAM (two 4 GB modules) for 40 USD via Newegg. Thus you can upgrade the iMac to 16 GB RAM for 80 USD and the MBP can be upgraded to 8 GB RAM for 40 USD, and 16 GB RAM for the MBP (two 8 GB RAM modules) costs currently 170 USD.
    The HDD can be also easily upgraded on the MBP.

Btw, I assume you get Final Cut Pro X?

3. Chrisg2014 thread starter macrumors regular

4. ppc_michael, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'd go with the iMac. Better screen, better hard drives. Papa John's.

5. simsaladimbamba

The iMac has more horsepower, if that is what you are after.
    As you only told us, what you are going to do with the Mac, and every Mac from the past two years is more than capable of doing so (besides the MacBook Air maybe), I was just asking, if mobility is an important issue. As you haven't answered that question, I suppose, it isn't, thus you could should get the iMac, but don't pay Apple prices for RAM, use Newegg or Amazon to buy compatible modules and do it yourself. It is easy as unscrewing a screw and pulling a bike chain.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

iMac!

...and do yourself a favor and get the WIRED keyboard with it. You need the num block in a lot of apps.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I would agree with the iMac recommendation, unless you absolutely need portability.

But outside of hardware, which version of Final Cut Pro are you using at school? I ask this because the current version of Final Cut Pro (X) is radically different than "legacy" Final Cut (versions 1-7).

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

The iMac has more screen. I always use two screens when editing with fcp7. My browser is always on the other screen. It's a pain to do it on my macbook.

Also, the iMac is way faster. The hard drive is also bigger and faster. Especially if you're going HD you need a lot of space. A second hard drive for the footage is always better (even with the iMac).

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

this made my day, thanks! :)

I only do family home videos as a hobby but I use my iMac over my macbook pro because of the better experience using a 27"

10. WRP macrumors 6502a

I'd go with a 15" MBP w/matte display and a Dell U2410. I wouldn't touch the iMac or cinema displays. Gloss FTL.

----------

The proc has very little to do with basic editing. I can cut a basic 1080p timeline on my 6 year old PPC machine. Any newer mac, even the mini can handle a few layers of quality HD. Unless you are doing graphics rendering or heavy transcoding I can cut the same thing on a mac mini that I could on a mac pro.

Now if we're talking about multilayer r3d files that would be a different story but something tells me that isn't the case.

11. mBox macrumors 68020

We cut for years on location with a MBP with both Avid MC and FCP.
    That was with DV and MXF (Sony XDCAM).
    However we've cut a few projects using RED MX.
    I just had to transcode all the R3Ds to Avid MXF (DNxHD 220).
    Ive also cut a quick music video in 4k ProResHQ on the MBP.
    Sadly it had to be exported to HD.
    The client couldnt find a way to deal with the 4k locally.