MacBook Pro or iMac....Help me decide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleSimon, Jun 21, 2011.

1. AppleSimon macrumors regular

I have already posted this thread in the iMac forum but didn't get much of a response, and seen as it involves the MacBook Pro too I thought I would give you guys a shot to help me.

So my current setup;

Late 2009 27" iMac, Core 2 Duo 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1TB.
    2010 11.6" MacBook Air, 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD.
    iPad 2.

So my iMac is used as my centralised system for everything, all my data and iTunes etc etc, everything is saved onto here. I also do Photoshop on this to, and have recently started doing Illustrator work.

My Air was used for University last year mainly and all I really do on it is type notes in class and research, but I was there 3-4 days a week so the portability was amazing, but next term I am only there 1 day a week, in the same classroom block so the portability isn't really necessary anymore.

The iPad is where I do all my browsing around the house. If my Air and iPad are next to each other I always pick up the iPad to browse. I also use it when travelling so watching things like movies and listening to music.

So my iMac has currently died and my insurance replacement voucher (only applies to Currys/PC World) entitles me to £1400, so this is where I'm stuck....

Do I just get the new 27" iMac and keep my Air?
    Do I get a base 15" MacBook Pro, sell the Air, buy a monitor, namely ACD?
    Do I just get a base 15" MacBook Pro and save some money?

Decision Decision and I really really don't know! To be honest I am swinging more for the second option as I love having 27" to work and have become accustom to it!

Is the MacBook Pro as good as, if not better than the iMac.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would just get an iMac if portability isn't a concern, as either the 21.5 or 27in iMac has better specs than the pro at either price point, plus you get a larger display with that option and build quality/osx on either choice.

3. Bear macrumors G3

It all depends on your usage. However, it sounds like the iMac might be the best fit from what you've said.

If you're talking about a 2011 iMac vs a 2011 MacBook Pro, the iMac winds hands down.

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I would go with the iMac since you already have an Air for portability.

If you go with the 15" + monitor, you can save money by not getting the ACD if you don't need an IPS display.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You already have an Air and iPad, so just get a new iMac. It's not worth getting a MBP AND an ACD if you already have another laptop and you're only going to be in school 1 day/week.

6. AppleSimon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your quick replies.

I think I will be going down the iMac route. I was just considering consolidating everything into one machine, hence the 15" MBP option.

I am still a little unsure because although the Air doesn't get used much whilst at home, it will get used at uni.