Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Hi. I need some assistance on my next mac purchase and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a college student and my primary computer usage is word processing, web browsing, movies and youtube. Currently I'm torn between getting a macbook pro 13" or an iMac 21.5" (base) with a netbook preferably something like a eeepc just for when I'm at college and during the commute home for report writing. There are obvious pros and cons for both but at this stage not enough to convince me to take one over the other. So I'm just wondering which would be the preferred option by people here.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
At college a laptop is a wise investment. I have a macbook hooked up to a screen for work at home and can still use the laptop in the library.

Habitat

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
Lol. Mac Pro 15" with another monitor. All data with you on the go and when you get home hook it up to the other screen and youre doing it big :)

defekt

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
I was in a similar situation, ended up getting an iMac and netbook, didn't want to routinely plug and unplug in my monitor and printer daily but what tipped the scales for me was the fact that my uni has flimsy lecture tables. But I do have to have to transfer files via thumb drive regularly if I want to work on my iMac...

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
Hi. I need some assistance on my next mac purchase and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a college student and my primary computer usage is word processing, web browsing, movies and youtube. Currently I'm torn between getting a macbook pro 13" or an iMac 21.5" (base) with a netbook preferably something like a eeepc just for when I'm at college and during the commute home for report writing. There are obvious pros and cons for both but at this stage not enough to convince me to take one over the other. So I'm just wondering which would be the preferred option by people here.

You have basic needs; the entry level 13" MBP will meet and exceed your needs. I suggest purchasing a external monitor, too. AppleCare is a must and you can always upgrade the RAM and hdd at a later time.

Habitus :apple:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
13in mb or mbp + external monitor. A laptop is a great investment imo. You can go to the coffee shop, library, on a bench, etc... Plus, really moving files back and forth is annoying as hell. And netbooks make your wrist hurt (at least with me).

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I would say go for the macbook pro and buy an external monitor to attach it to when your at school.

I second that.

Everything's there when you have just one computer. What if you forgot to put a file on your Netbook and realised that it's still on your iMac, at home? It happens. And if you find you really need a bigger screen, you can just buy a Dell 24" monitor for however much that costs where you live (they're pretty affordable).

You'll be surprised how light and portable the MBP 13" really is.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Ditto what everyone else has said. Try for a monitor with a built in usb hub, then all you have to do is connect one usb to your MBP and everything else is good. Or you could get an external.

I remember college......

jeky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks to everyone who posted, it has made my decision a little easier. But I do have concerns about carrying around such an expensive machine as opposed to a netbook.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
Thanks to everyone who posted, it has made my decision a little easier. But I do have concerns about carrying around such an expensive machine as opposed to a netbook.

...are you going into freshman year or later?

Also, with the apple tablet (what ever) coming out, many companies are holding off releasing their new netbooks to see what apple has come up with so there should be more powerful machines on the horizon...

jeky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
...are you going into freshman year or later?

Also, with the apple tablet (what ever) coming out, many companies are holding off releasing their new netbooks to see what apple has come up with so there should be more powerful machines on the horizon...

I'll be in my 4th year but I'm not a particularly large person, more so less than average =\

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
Don't get the netbook if your used to any other laptop. Even if you understand it's power, it still will anger you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.