Macbook Pro or Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbanda, Sep 4, 2010.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I will appreciate any advice on my situation. I am an educator and need to buy a computer so my kids (7-9-years-old) can have access to one. I currently have a black MacBook and love it.

My debate is that I could get them a 27" Imac or I can get a 15" MacBook Pro for me and give them the 13" - I would buy a display for it. Given my line of work, I am able to write off whatever computer I buy. I am perfectly happy with my 13" MacBook Pro but would no mind at all to have an excuse to get myself a new one :)

Could you advice me what you think may be the most cost/rational decision? Also, although I qualify for the educator discount, what would be the most cost effective way to buy it? Through Amazon? Apple Store? I would ideally like to take advantage of any zero financing offer.

Thanks.

2. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

i got in the same situation and decided i5 imac because desktops will always be expensive but you can get a cheap windows netbook for a reasonable amount. So now i have a blazing fast mac and a netbook to get me through the rest of the day i am not at home. If you need a mac for your line of work then go for the macbook pro

3. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I faced the same situation this summer. The factor that it really came down to for me was portability. I wanted to get the gorgeous 27" screen of the Mac but I knew that along the line I would want the portability of a laptop. I have no regret in my decision of getting the Macbook Pro, I love it. As you also wrote too, you could upgrade yourself and just do a hand me down. Of course as far as financial go, a reburbed 27" iMac would be your best way to go. Good luck in your decision!

4. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply - I would love the big 27" but an external display and the power that the 13" MacBook has is more than enough for the needs of my kids. I still would like to hear what other people have to say.

5. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

The zero "financing" is just a credit card that they give you and they put the computer on it. After a certain amount of months if the computer isn't paid off they start to charge a (bad) APR. It's also hard to get. What I did was I found a good credit card with an introductory 0% APR (which is essentially what your getting from Apple) and a decent APR after that. I'm happy I did so.

This decision is basically a question of portability. Do you need a mobile computer? If not, the iMac will get you a lot more hardware for the price.

6. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

What about processor speed, since I'm coming from a C2C and has worked great for my needs so far, should I get the lowest of the line if I go with the MacBook Pro?

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

The base MacBook Pro 15" has the i5 @ 2.4Ghz and can be had for $1700 with the education discount, and should be plenty for you. The 13" still has the C2D and I'd go with the 15" solely for this reason. Although the C2D was enough for you, it's technically an obsolete chip. Plus, the 15" still has much of the portability of the 13" and the increased screen real estate is really nice. It's my favorite Mac :rolleyes:.

8. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

In my opinion, maybe it's best you go with the MacBook Pro, the 15" model. I've used iMacs in the past years and the usual problem is the corners of the LCD tends to have gray smudeges and you would need to have the LCD replaced by Apple. I've use the old iMac G5 up to the iMac aluminums and usually there's that discoloration. If you have Applecare that's fine as the LCD replacement is free. The screen costs around $800+ if your iMac has a lapsed warranty. I think it's the way the iMac is designed as it's exhaust fans tend to suck in dusts into the screen.

9. willieva macrumors 6502

If you're worried about cost/rational then a 27" for kids is total overkill. The base iMac will more than meet their needs for years to come.

10. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Buyin a computer for the kids - desktop all the way!

What you don't want is your kids to start taking the computer off to their bedroom. Who knows what they'll get up to then. Seriously.

I'd go base iMac for them, and save for a new MBP for yourself further down the line.

11. raaj2112 macrumors newbie

You will get better performance from a 27" iMac, plus you can dual-install Windows and OSX, which is bad-***. If portability matters more to you than performance, then I say the 15" Macbook Pro with upgraded memory to 8GB and the solid state drive.

Industrial Kitchen Equipment | Restaurant Equipment

12. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

We went through the same decision process this summer. My wife teaches, but neither of us need the portability so we went with the 27" iMac which is superb.

The kids needed the portability so three of the four have MBPs, two of which were acquired after the recent upgrade.

27" iMac is obviously overkill for little ones. You might want to also consider the Mini with the new monitor, but the low end iMac probably is probably a better fit.

13. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

+1. I would say go for a lower end iMac, unless you just want the 27" display. The specs are overkill for you and your kids if your old Blackbook is perfectly fine for you.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Don't forget about the destruction factor. I've seen many a laptop killed by kids spilling liquid on it or dropping it. With an iMac, the only exposed components will be the keyboard and mouse, which are much cheaper to replace than a macbook logic board.