Macbook Pro or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jciapara, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jciapara macrumors regular

Hi all, I need some advice from you, I was planning to buy a new Macbook Pro as soon as the new models with Penryn came out, but a visit to the Apple store, got me thinking if I should get a iMac 24" display instead. I know there are not similarities in terms of portability between the 2. But the reason why I am now thinking of buying the iMac is the absolutely great big screen and the fact that I just graduated from university and starting working and I won't be needing much of a laptop now, and travelling will not be frequent. Currently I own Powerbook G4 1.25Ghz with 512 MB Ram I've had a little over 4 years. I'm thinking I could still use this one if I have any needs to travel or do something outside home (maybe upgrading the RAM for better perfomance).

I now I sound like already convinced of buying the iMac but I really love the macbook pro and I was determined to buy it until I saw the iMac, that is why this whole dilemma. What would you guys do?. Also I might have to move from the city I live to another one, what are the options for transporting the iMac by airplane?. Also when do you think the new iMac will come out (Penryn), should I wait for this or do you think it will be more than 1-2 months?

Any thoughts, ideas or comments are appreciated.

2. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

Follow up

Also I should add, I might play a game or two on my new mac, how is the iMac performance in this field? is the graphics card good?. What would you recommend to buy along with the new mac? (accesories, ram, etc)

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I say imac. The bigger screen and faster HD make it a better choice, IMO.

4. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook Pro or iMac??

Thanks, yes I'm thinking of getting the 24" Model. And thanks for the Hard Drive tip, I'll try to get the fastest HD with decent size, although I'm planning of getting a 1TB external HD also. Any more ideas, tips or suggestions??

Thanks in Advanced

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you want to game, I'd rec a 360 or a PC. Either will give you better performance for a lower price (particularly the console). Since you already have a laptop, I wouldn't get another unless you planned to sell your current.

6. McGiord, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

About the big screen, you can also use your future to be MBP with a video adapter and connect it to a Big Screen TV, and don;t loose the portability.

But you could save some money if you get an iMac instead of the MBP.

It's a tough decision, and after using a MB for a year I do love the portability, even at my home, therefore I decide to buy the soon to be release MBP.
    ________
    vaporizer pipe

7. semiconstructiv macrumors newbie

there is no point in waiting for penyrn for the imac the 45mn won't matter with a desktop than it would with a laptop. that's just me. just go with the current 2.8 extreme

8. jciapara thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

Thanks for all your tips.

I really don't want to buy a xbox 360 or any other console, since I don't like videogames that much, I only like 1 game in PC. I thought of buying the macbook pro and a big display, but money is the issue here haha. I just wanted to know if the Graphics card was a good one. Do you think a better graphics card will be incorporated in the next revision?. Anyway the only thing I need to make my decision is how easy is to transport by airplane the iMac 24"? Since I might be moving to another city in a few months and I will have to take the iMac with me. Anyone has moved this machine by airplane?.

Thanks for you tips.

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The graphics chip in the MacBook Pro is a MILLION times better for gaming than the cheap **** (I don't swear a lot but this is something which I'm particularly unhappy about) that Apple has in the new iMac.

Basically, if you buy an iMac you're buying a $1000+ PC which has a graphics card in it that many cards from a couple of years ago could outperform.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'm waiting for the new MBP's that will be out within a couple weeks imo.
    Also thinking they might bump the iMac specs too-maybe a better graphics card too.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The 2600 XT is not a bad card for an all-in-one

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook Pro is an all-in-one too.

13. McGiord, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To transport an iMac look at the banners/ads that appeard in this website, there is one called the iLugger or something like that, I have no idea if they are good or bad.
    ________
    herbalaire vaporizer