MacBook Pro or Imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cameron08, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Cameron08 macrumors member

Good day,

I recently posted a topic about a deal on the Imac, for those of who over active members here might have replied to my topic.

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts on the Imac, although I know inside I want the Imac more cause because I'm getting more bang for my money, and bigger screen. However I would like the mobility that a MacBook Pro has.

If I buy the Imac, I plan to buy it Refurbished the "Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo."

Or find a good deal on Ebay for the MacBook Pro

Many thanks for anyone who can help determine which one to buy Imac or MacBook Pro?

Thanks again!!!

Kind regards,
    Cameron

2. DougT macrumors newbie

I'm on the verge of getting a new Mac as well, and I had the same problem choosing between a MBP and iMac. However, I'm going with the iMac since it's cheaper, bigger screen, and more powerful--plus I don't really need the portability. It's nice to have a laptop when you go on vacations or out of town for the day (which is pretty much the only times I bring my old Windows laptop with me outside of the house), but I'd much rather have something nicer to look at while I'm at home. (And where I spend the majority of my time)
    According to the Buyer's Guide, the current iMac models are quite new. I know the MacBook Pro's will be updated sometime around September with the new Montevina platform, so it may be worth it to hold out on buying one till then.

Also, would you mind linking me to your previous topic? I'd like to see if this iMac deal is any good.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I vote iMac. I have a MBP and it never leaves my desktop, for all my mobile stuff i use my trusty 12"pb Just depends on what you do on the go and what your current mobile setup is. If just listening to music or word/internet i would say go for the imac and save $ for a whitebook. Also, the quality of refurb is going to be far superior to most things you'll find on ebay.
    Just my 2c

4. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

if you may ever need to portability, go with the macbook pro. it most likely can handle whatever you're going to do with a imac.

5. Cameron08 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that, I do have a Dell Laptop I do work from, so probably since I have the Dell I'll probably go with the Imac.

Here is the thread you wanted me to link you to: (its just me trying to figure out if I should buy new imac or refurbished)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=503765
    Thanks for your reply to this topic it has helped a overwhelming amount.!

I agree with you, so your saying if you don't already have something ofr travel then move towards the MacBook then get the Imac for your main work.Well I have a laptop, it's a Dell it's been good. However I think I'll go with the Imac.

Thanks for your replies!

Well I forgot to mention I have my Dell laptop, but I just wanted the imac for what I'll be doing on them. Besides the only time I should be working is probably at home it's probably better it I get the Imac then stick with my Dell Laptop.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

That's exactly what I was saying! Buy the iMac now, use your dell until it dies or you get tired of it, then sell it (working or parts) put the $$ toward a macbook. Then once you get the macbook, you can keep your itunes library in sync with Mojo. haha i love that app!

7. DarkRevenant macrumors member

is mojo for mac only? it doesnt list windows requirements on the web page but it has the windows flag under operating systems.

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I say MBP. I like the flexibility it gives me to be mobile, such as using it anywhere in the house, or taking it with me on trips/deployments etc... I keep an LCD display at home w/ keyboard/mouse for when I feel like I need more screen real estate. My .02

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

yeah i saw that and thought the same thing, idk i dont have a pc. I"ll check it out tho on parallels! :)
    Edit: Yes it is for windows. If you click on the icon it takes you to another page with screenshots with windows dialog boxes! apparently it is truly universal (except linux)

10. DarkRevenant macrumors member

doh! haha. Thanks though, ill definitely be downloading this on my PCs.