MacBook Pro or IMAC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ecelle, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Ecelle macrumors newbie

I am a returning Illustration/Graphic Design student and am currently interested on purchasing a MAC. I have rounded down to two different models, the $1699 15" MBP or the $1699 IMAC.Both of these models are right at my budget but dont know too much on the difference of the specs and what would be better for me for being a student in design.Im sure when I become a professional that I will upgrade to a Mac Pro and a 17" MBP, but I think the two models im interested above will be fine for me as a student.MBP has portability,however I really dont need to take it anywhere becuase Im taking my classes online.IMAC is all in one and has huge screen to do my work on, but is it powerful enough to run apps such as photoshop,illustrator,maya,flash,after effects etc?Is the standard 15" even good enough?any advice would be appreciated.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Laptops are cool cuz they can be taken anywhere u want. It just depends if you want to have the freedom to take your machine with u.

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

What are the specs on the computers? :confused:

I would definitely go with the mbp no matter the specs, it should handle all those programs without problem (though not sure about maya), unless you are going into video editing. Even if you say you are taking classes online, the portability of a laptop should never be overlooked. In our modern world, I think laptops should come before desktops. What if you need to meet with other students in the program or present something (not sure what your online curriculum is like)? If you want more real estate, get a monitor ( I guess a decent one with proper color reproducton) and use it inline with the mbp display. My 2.4ghz, 4gb ram mbp handles cs4 and aperture very well, even final cut pro okay. If the mbp has enough ram and good cpu clockspeed you really shouldn't have any problems.

4. Ecelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Not knowing specs meaning dont know if the specs for Imac are sufficient for student work in design(should of been more clear), i'm kinda MAC illiterate ><.Im attending the Academy of Art San Fran Online and I live in New Jersey I dont really see myself doing work outside of my home.Is the standard 15" MBP more powerfull than 27" standard Imac?

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Do you have a need for portability? That factors in heavily, if not completely, to the decision IMO.

7. Ecelle thread starter macrumors newbie

I was kinda thinking that the IMAC would be enough,and like I was saying I dont really need to be portable, Im doing everything from home

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

iMac is 100X more than enough.

Heck, even a white Macbook would be more than enough.

For what you are doing, its just not that intensive.

9. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

If you get the Macbook Pro, you can always get a cinema display later down the line and use it as a desktop.

10. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I agree, the MacBook Pro would give you the option to be mobile if the need ever came about! (power outages, group projects, so on and so on...)

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If you have to choose one or the other Id go with the laptop.

Even though I LOVE desktops way more then laptops, if you can only have one, grab the one with portability. You never know when you may need it.

Also, as others have stated you can hook an external monitor to it and use it as a desktop. Its a great set up and its currently what I have.

I run:

-Photoshop
    -Lightroom
    -Maya
    -Corel Painter X
    -Unity 3D
    -Logic Express

and many many more but those are the main ones. My MBP handles them all flawlessly. I'm very happy with it.

12. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

seeing as you dont need much power, then the macbook pro will probably be better, that being said, use the extra money to buy a monitor and external peripherals, for when you feel a bit desktopish [​IMG]