MacBook Pro or iPad4 for graduating graphic designer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hulk2012, Oct 28, 2012.

1. hulk2012 macrumors 6502

I am graduating graphic designer and own iMac 27" packed with softwares. What would be beneficial enabling me to be more mobile working on the go - MacBook Pro or iPad 4? What I will need it would be sketching, drawing, using illustrator, indesign and photoshop. Are they any of these apps replacements for iPad?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the MBP is clearly designed for just your need, while the iPad has some ability in this area its no where near the power of the MBP for a graphic designer.

3. Maczor macrumors regular

Depends on the kind of work you're expecting to do...
    If it's drawing, I guess an iPad would be better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ksjKcQm-uk
    If it's photo editing / retouching and similar, then I'd go with the Macbook Pro.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I can see an iPad being useful for some things, but if I were you I'd get the MBP. There is a Photoshop version that can be used on the iPad, but it's not going to be nearly as powerful as the regular version on a MBP. InDesign and Illustrator on an iPad? Nope. Even if they existed, the functionality would be very limited. I do a lot of page layout (InDesign) and I can't imagine trying to do it on an iPad at this point. Perhaps someday, but not now.

Get yourself a nice MBP. You might even decide to use that and a nice big external monitor and sell your iMac (that's what I did).

5. markus843 macrumors regular

The macbook would be much better than an ipad for your needs.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

The iPad is excellent for showing off your work but you can't run CS on it. If you need work mobility then the MBP. I would suggest the rMBP so that you can show off your work. However, I have cut the laptop and now use an iMac and iPad combo and do all my work on the iMac.

7. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought about it too. What sort of MBP would you recommend?

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

9. stevelam macrumors 65816

is this a joke? how are you a 'graduating designer' and not know about ipad limitations? obviously the macbook would be MUCH more ideal.

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Depends on what you need. I'd go with a 15"...I like the size better, and you get the discrete graphics card. Whether you get a retina or a classic is up to you. The retina comes with an SSD and so will be very fast, but you won't have the ability to upgrade it at all. So you'd need to order it with the size SSD you think you'll need, and with as much RAM as you expect to need. If you need an optical drive, you'll have to purchase that separately. But you get the retina screen, plus it's quite a bit thinner and lighter than the classic MBP.

With the classic, you have the option of removing the optical drive, putting the HDD into the optical bay and installing an SSD, giving you both storage and speed. You also get the ability to upgrade RAM or the HDD at any point if you want.

In the end, the only one that can decide what's best for you...is you. You can see what I have in my signature. I got it as a refurb (cheaper but same warranty) and it's a great computer.

11. hulk2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx @sweetbrat for your detailed answer. Really helpful stuff.