Macbook Pro or Mac Pro? Decisions decisions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by David N, Jan 23, 2008.

1. David N macrumors member

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I got my first iPod (16gb touch) last week and am now in the market for a computer. For a quick background, I'm coming from a quad core Windows XP machine with 4gbs of ram, an 8800GTS, yada yada yada.

I'm getting a mac because I want to persue my photography and video hobby more seriously, and windows seriously lacks the software for this and I simply want a change.

Now, I need to chose between a Macbook Pro with Hi-res 17" matte screen and 200gb 7200RPM hard drive which comes out to $3459 before taxes, or a Mac Pro octo-2.8ghz, 500gb hard drive, 8800GT machine which is $3199 plus tax. Software will come later (FC4, Aperture), and storage isn't a concern, I can use networked external drives for that.

Now, I currently have a 46" Sony Bravia W3000 1080P LCD that will be hooked up to either system, but I also have 24" Samsung 245BW. It's a decent monitor, but the viewing angle is terrible and I'm certainly not "impressed" especially for editing. If I get the MBP I'll sell this to eliminate the extra cost, but if I get the MP I'll keep this as one of my displays.

I know the Mac Pro is a more powerful system and also slightly cheaper, but I honestly don't think I'll ever use 8 cores or even all 4, I've yet to find a use for the four on my current Windows system... I'm going to university next year and I'll be staying at home and have an ultra portable for note taking, so the laptop won't travel too much, but it may travel a bit during trips and such. Plus, having the option to take it with me will be great.

I'm kind of leaning towards the MBP just because I've always been particularly fond of them, and I quite honestly don't think I'll need the extra power of the MP.

[I just realized a 24" iMac and black MB cost basically the same as either of my above options... rawr, too many decision!]

I'll likely be buying whatever I chose in late February/March, so please try and sway me either way! Thank you to anyone who read my big ramble of aloud thoughts and can offer some insight. :apple:

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

If you don't need the power but want to spend the coin, I'd recommend the iMac and the MacBook...best of both worlds, probably plenty of power for ya.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Go for the Mac Pro 4 core, buy the 500 GB hard drive elsewhere, same for memory. Then spend the rest on a decent display.

4. David N thread starter macrumors member

With those changes the total comes to $2649... If I were to get a new monitor I'd want at the very least the 23" which brings to total to $3698, which is sadly indefinitely out of my budget.

I'm seriously considering a basic 24" iMac at this point, which with KB+Mouse comes to $1954 plus tax, allowing me to buy my software right away and still be well within my budget. I'll hold off on an Macbook until they get their next update.

I don't know what I want to do, I still love the MBP and would wait until it gets its update if I order. I know it's considerably more expensive, but I have the money to spend, it's just like $1400 for the portability that is killing me, which for the price, will buy me a whole other system; the MB.

Too many decisions!

Haha, thanks for the help so far :)

5. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Hmmm.

I understand your logic in looking at the iMac, but seriously, does the all-in-one laptop/desktop hybrid really REALLY appeal that much?

The screen, terrible, and non upgradeable. The HD isn't easily accessible. The GPU, non accessible. Same goes for MBP. Laptop parts in a desktop? I think that is enough for me to never consider an iMac.

You are using a Quad core now, so why downgrade? Think about the fact that in less than a year, developers are going to become more and more 'core aware' and their apps will be annihilated by your 4core/8core Mac Pro.

Go Mac Pro. So much longevity and upgradeability and in 4 years will still sporting serious grunt!

6. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I forgot to add, I did my degree in Video Art on a PowerBook G4. HD's fill up. It's unreal.

If you are even considering a future with video, go Mac Pro.

It will support you at every step along the way.

7. David N thread starter macrumors member

Very good points fatsoforgotso. While I've never used anywhere near all of my processing power, I've also never done video or photo editing either. Having 8 cores really would be nice, and my TV has a surprisingly awesome viewing angle, contrast and saturation.

As far as hard drives go, I'm not worried. I have four 500gb drives right now, but I'll likely sell at least one of them with my current setup.

Do you happen to know what drives are shipping with the Mac Pros? Do I need a special Mac version of said drives, or can I buy whatever the model of the drive is and have it work in the bays?

I think you may have convinced me on the Mac Pro. I'll just have to make my birthday money go towards my software and any other money I can manage to make towards a good monitor to replace this Samsung.

I'll probably find 8gb's of ram to go with it online, RAM has never been cheaper and having too much is much better than not enough :)

8. David N thread starter macrumors member

On second glance, I forgot they use FB-DIMMs... 4gb should be good for now, they are much more expensive than the regular DIMMs I'm used to buying :(

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's not like you need to buy an ACD, there are other decent monitors (many would say better) out there for a lower price. Dell 2407WFP-HC is currently $580.

You say you will sell your current display as it is terrible for editing if you get a MBP but keep it if you get a Mac Pro? That dosn't make much sense to me, selling it and getting a decent 20" S-IPS based display is surely better than using a 17" laptop screen for photo editing.