MacBook Pro or Mac Pro - Design Work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hobes270, Mar 22, 2009.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

Hi! Ok so basically I am deciding weather to buy a mac pro or a macbook pro. I do a lot of the Adobe applications mainly including photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, indesign and that type of stuff. I also use Final Cut Studio occasionally, but not too often. When i am in photoshop, 85% of the time I am not working with ridiculously large files. On occasion I do.

So I am deciding between a Mac Pro and a Macbook pro. The only thing is if I go with the mac pro, I would have to at least buy a cheap macbook because i need something portable. But the real questions is, is with that i do, do I use the power of the mac pro or will the top end macbook pro do it about the same? Do i use all 8 cores? If I went with the macbook pro, I would probably do the 8 gigs of ram in the 17 inch model. The only reason why i am contemplating on this is because if I go with the macbook pro route, It will be much cheaper in the end. But if I go with the mac pro and it will benefit me that much more then it may be worth it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. sal macrumors 6502

you said it yourself that you need portability. Get the mbp

I do heavy work on the MBP(Final cut studio) and it's sufficient enough for my needs. For what you are doing a macpro might be overkill, especially if you are looking at the 8core macPro option.

Get the macpro if you'll be working more with final cut or if you are planning to use some serious computing power in the near future.

Get the MBP and maybe even a 2nd display to complement it and you'll have a great setup.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea the MBP is in no way not portable (sorry for the double negative.:rolleyes:) get the 15" and be happy.