macbook pro or mac pro for graphics / 2d and 3d apps

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nilsie, Jun 19, 2008.

1. nilsie macrumors newbie

Ellow everybody,

This is my first post because i want to make the swich at home from Windows to Mac and also my Windows laptop crashed (how bizar:p).
    I allready work with an Imac at work so Mac is not new for me.

I need some feedback on buying a mac cause i am doubting between buying a macbook pro or Mac pro.

What are my needs:
    I'm an architect/3D visualiser and work with several graphical/2D/3D programs, such as Vectorworks, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, SKetchup etc.
    I'm also busy with learning some new 3D apps for making more realistic rendering than Sketchup. On this moment i am busy with Modo and Vray for Sketchup,
    but it's really sure i will go with this programs as i am still checking it out and maybe it will be 3dsmax via bootcamp, i don't know this yet.

A computer beïng portable is allways nice but it is not necessarry for me, i rather choose for speed / production than for the portability of a laptop.

Also for the mac pro i don't know if a 4core will do or an 8 core... and how much Ram i should take...
    and this mac pro of course with an ACD23" :p

Hope to sort this out with you guys cause i'm dying to get a Mac at my place :D

gr33tzzz

Niels

2. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Welcome to MacRumors :)

If you have not read this thread, you may want to check it out. Another member was going through a similar decision making process.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=501901

My 2 cents, I say go for the Mac Pro if you don't absolutely need portability. The Mac Pro will last you longer and has far more upgradability. As I pointed out in the other thread, I have a Dual 1GHz G4 Power Mac in my office that still runs great. Desktop class machines just typically outlast portables... probably due to the fact they don't move around much. :p

Good luck in making your decision!

3. hajime macrumors 68030

I have a MacBook Pro for a year. I am very happy with its performance. The problem is that the max memory size is 4GB only. Now, I need more than that for my work. So, I am considering to buy the Mac Pro. If you think that you might need more than 4GB, maybe the Mac Pro is a better choice.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan