Macbook Pro or Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluefiberoptics, Jul 20, 2007.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Ok guys, I really need some advice. I have a custom desktop PC I use with a 24 inch Dell display. I'd like to buy a Mac and use it as my main machine, connected to my Dell 24 inch.

My current desktop uses AMD Athlon 64 3500+, Geforce 7600 GT, 1 GB RAM, and Windows XP 32 bit.

However, I have some questions/issues.

1. Macbook Pro or Mac Pro? Will I see a performance increase with either of them compared to the processor in my desktop now?

I also read that if you take the battery out of the Macbook pro and leave it with just AC power, 1 core shuts down? I don't want to wear down my battery if I plan to keep my Macbook connected to AC charging..

Maybe a Mac Pro would be better? The room for extra hard drives is a plus.

2. 5.1 Speakers. I have some existing cheap Dell speakers connected to my PC. Which speakers can I use with a Mac? Also, do I need an adapter to allow me to use 5.1 speakers?

Main use for the speakers is watching xvid encoded videos and occasional DVDs.

Thank you for listening, I really appreciate it! I hope to be an Apple user by Christmas or next year. (Depending on product updates!)

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Do you even need the portability the Macbook Pro has to offer? If not, I'd purchase the Mac Pro since it offers the faster processor, ability to add more ram than the MBP, larger hard drive capacity, and better GPU. The Macbook Pro is more than a capable machine but you have to decide whether the portability is worth the tradeoffs. Leaving the battery in while plugged in will not harm the battery and it's smart enough not to overcharge itself. All batteries inherently will go bad so babying them will not eek out years of battery life over just leaving it in while plugged in.

3. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Also, what kind of work do you plan to be doing with this machine? If it's not very intensive processing stuff, the MP might be overkill in terms of processing power, RAM upgrades, and HD space.

4. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

The main thing is, Apple has no mid tower. I want to be able to use my Dell monitor but not buy an underpowered Mac Mini. I'm thinking the Mac Pro due to storage, processing power, and not having to worry about a battery dying like a notebook. I'll be doing video editing, image editing, blogging, surfing, and handling large amounts of media files.

Anyone know anything about 5.1 speakers with Macs? Thanks guys for your input.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I was in exactly the same position several months ago: MacBook Pro or Mac Pro.

I wanted 3 things:

1. Power for Graphics incl. 3D.
    2. Storage capacity and expandability.
    3. Portability.

Since portability was the least important I went with the Mac Pro but it may be overkill for what you want to use it for.

Just list the features you want in order of priority and go for the most important ones then choose your system.

6. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Wow, thanks for making it clear!

I'd choose
    1. Power for Graphics incl. 3D.
    2. Storage capacity and expandability.

When Apple upgrades the MacPro, I think I'll go with that. Unless Apple has any special surprises..

7. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

In my opinion you need to think about what your wanting to wait for..... because unless your building an £8000 Mac Pro then you might as well just buy now because the next upgrades wouldn't really be worth all that wait especially if you don't really need them,

Also what GFX software are you planning on using that requires the power of the Mac Pro? because there is no point putting thousands of £££'s in to a computer that a one thousand £ one could do.... but i guess thats up to you,

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

10. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

the mac pro is portable. it's got 2 huge handles on the top.

Sounds ilke you should get a 24" imac and hook up your monitor as an extended desktop.

11. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

The 24" iMac would do the trick. Especially once the upgrades come. Hopefully you'll get a processor boost and more upgrade options for RAM and HD space.

NickD

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

he already has a monitor that he'd like to use with whatever machine he chooses.. throwing out a 3rd option isn't very helpful, especially when it doesn't even meet the criteria he's already laid out...

i'd opt for the mac pro, personally. a MBP is a great machine, and yes, the mac pro might be overkill right now, but it'll last far longer (because it's so upgradeable) and has better bang for your buck. buying a laptop is really only worth it, especially a high-end laptop, if you NEED portability. if not, a desktop is usually the smarter move.

13. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Yeah, but he could use his 24" as an extended desktop, which is great for graphics work.

NickD

14. bluefiberoptics thread starter macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Many thanks guys for all your responses. I'll be sure to post pictures of my Mac Pro whenever I purchase one. (When Apple updates it)

15. krunk macrumors regular

QFT. Laptops definately have a "cool" factor and I know I'm looking at purchasing one so I don't have to keep sync'ing my emails, projects, papers, etc between home and work machines. But far too many people buy them for the cool factor rather then necessity.

My personal approach has always been to buy very cheap laptops and very nice desktops. It suits my need to do word processing or ssh into the machines I admin on the go. Any time I need real muscle on the road, I just ssh into my workhorse at home. :)

As far as waiting, if you are 'ok' now we are really close to a product update. Mine as well wait. At the very least, you should see a better video card in the mac pro soon for the same price. Hopefully, it'll be a nvidia like the macbooks and not that lemon of a card ATI calls the 2xxx series.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Personally, I didn't see why the 24" Dell, a keyboard, and a mouse weren't a viable option to put the MacBook into desktop mode.

Don't need a Mac Mini, nor an iMac -- since they are all essentially laptops in a desktop case.

But if you want something above laptop performance, without any other chipsets -- the Mac Pro is the next leap in performance.