Macbook Pro or Macbook Air and iMac -- Same Price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TatsuTerror, Feb 6, 2008.

1. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

This isn't the first time I've posted in this section of the forum, but I have another question for you all.

After I configured a Macbook Pro to 2.4 GHz with the top HDD, adding a 3rd party screen, mouse, and keyboard, it came to just a bit over three grand. I then took the Macbook Air base and the iMac 20" 2.4 base, and it came to just a bit under. This is with the student discount, mind you (Mom works for UCLA). After adding some 3rd party RAM to the iMac, the two computers add up to about the same price as the MBP.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what would be most beneficial to me. I do a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Lightroom, soon to be replaced by Aperture (90% of the time at home). I need to be able to take my computer easily to class for basic notes and web usage. What do you think would best suit this situation, given that the prices are almost equal?

2. sfs macrumors member

If you expect to do a fair bit of Photoshop-type work away from home, go MBP. If you expect to do more than the occasional YouTube clip in video editing, go MBP. Otherwise, the MBP is heavier than the MBA and a bit less portable. If you can stand to have some (possibly significant) lag on your mobile photo editing, importing, etc., then get the MBA and help save Apple's stock. If not, the MBP is your best bet.

3. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

Personally I would get the MBA and iMac setup. I like having a more powerful desktop at home and a portable for trips and class (basic word processing and browsing the web).

I have plans to sell my MBP for a Mac Pro and I just bought a 12" PB to make my ideal setup. Eventually however I may replace the 12" PB for a Macbook or MBA. That is my perfect setup.

...also as a student I get annoyed having to hook up everything when I get home and then leaving shortly after (not a big deal though)

4. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I wish I was rich like you guys. And I'm not a student!

I don't know if you'll have a problem with this, but I hated having multiple computers because the file I needed was always on the OTHER computer. I would recommend getting a MBP and keeping it for everything.

And I know you can sync over the Time Capsule file server or use flash drives, but seriously. Every time??

And a MBAir for taking notes is a bit much.

5. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

Go MB and iMac

save some $. The MB's just fine for class and it's more powerful than the MBA

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I agree. Get a good iMac, splurge for some 3rd party RAM (4GB imo), an external fw backup drive, and a nice secondary monitor. Then get a MB for portability, and again, upgrade the RAM. I know the air looks cool, but that combo is going to give you a better setup overall, and be cheaper.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I currently have a 17" MBP, but if I was going to do it now, I'd probably go for the iMac + MBA combo.

8. TatsuTerror thread starter macrumors regular

My theory behind the MBA is the maximized portability -- and from your responses I've decided to go for a Macbook Pro, which isn't too much heavier than the Macbook anyways. That way I won't have to transfer folders back and forth, or pay for .mac.

9. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Right on, brotherman. Good choice. Any way you slice it, a new Apple is great. Enjoy!

10. sfs macrumors member

Do note that an MBP update is considered imminent, expected by many within this month. If you don't have an immediate need, it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks. Multi-touch trackpads, Penryn cores, and possibly LED backlights on the 17" or graphics card updates are expected to be released as early as five minutes from now (although most, probably correctly, think Tuesdays are most likely).