MacBook Pro or MacBook Air For College?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Jun 24, 2008.

?

Which One?

1. MacBook Air

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. MacBook Pro

60 vote(s)
    82.2%
  1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm going to college in 3 years. I might get a MacBook Pro/Macbook Air now. Which one should I use for college?

MacBook Pro sounds a bit too "big/heavy". What do you guys think?

Remember that I'm getting the lowest config of MacBook Pro but with the hard drive upgraded to 250 GB. MacBook Air will be lowest config too.

Should I wait, or buy it now?

Will it be too worn 3 years later for college? (I have a MacBook right now)

-Rekhyt

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I would not recommend the MacBook Air as your only computer. Lack of ports and internal optical drive makes it a good laptop for those who have another computer to use when they are not on the road. I would say go for the MacBook Pro.

3. aosman macrumors 6502

We posted simultaneously. The MacBook would be a better option, but out of the two you mentioned, I would say go MacBook Pro.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I personally would buy a MBP. However, if you have access to a second mac then a MacBook Air is not a bad purchase for school. A few of my college classmates have Airs and they're pretty pleased but they all have another mac at home acting as the workhorse.

ETA: I see you currently have a MacBook, why not enjoy that? If you're already thinking of an upgrade one year into your purchase, there's no way you're going to keep this next purchase for college which is 3 years away (not that I would expect anyone else to, even if they didn't already have a MacBook). I would buy something else unless you're one of those who chase the latest and greatest, which if true, I'd have to say keep on chasing.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You're going to want to get a new computer when you start college. Three years is a long time -- and in seven years your computer will feel like it's crawling. If you need a new computer now, get the computer that's best for you now, and then update when you start college.

6. Klaxons2012 macrumors regular

I would wait until you're actually in college. Three years is a big commitment for a machine.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

DO NOT buy a Mac for college three years before...

I bought a Mac just prior to my senior year of high school and had to buy a new one halfway through my junior year of college to keep up.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't really need a Pro at this stage; you probably just need the power of the Air right now; however seeing you are going to college in 3 years, I would get a Macbook now instead and decide what you need later (in 3 years).

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Since when is five pounds heavy?

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's what I was wondering. That's how much a bag of sugar weighs. Considering the 80-pound books you'll have to buy, a friggin laptop is the least of weight worries.

I would NOT recommend a MBA for college use. The processor will get outdated much faster than the MBP. 1.6/1.8Ghz vs., what, 2.6Ghz? You also can't upgrade the RAM on a MBA (or anything else for that matter), and contrary to Apple's belief, people still use optical media once in a while.

You pay a premium on the MBA for the weight and thinness. It's really a horrible deal comparing stuff straight-up. You'll start kicking yourself if you spend $1800 on a primary computer that doesn't have an optical drive, multiple USB ports, firewire, etc.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros are pretty popular, and there's good reason for it. Pick one of them and you shouldn't need another for 4 years. Get yourself a free iPod Touch while you're at it!

11. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm... It's not like I'm going to play Crysis or use Final Cut Pro in College...

Do I need a MacBook Pro in College?

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

its gonna be ur only computer that does ot matter i would say at lest a MacBook preferably a Pro because the air is slow just surfing the net so iTunes is just bad.

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

For God's sake....DO NOT BUY A COMPUTER FOR COLLEGE THREE YEARS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Sorry for the yell typing but thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard...

But i suppose if you must get one go for the MBP.

14. kabunaru Guest

Neither.
    Get a new MacBook in three years if anything. Most college students get a MacBook.

15. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Get a MacBook for now, then we'll see what happens in 3 years. Dude that's a long time from now.

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

another one of these posts? oh lord! :)

i voted AIR. for college, its perfect. most people dont need more than 1 usb at a time, and if they do they can operate a usb hub. most people dont need a cd drive ALL THE TIME, and when they do, the external superdrive is great.

If i had to do it again, id be all over the air, and a Home brew pc.

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Keep your current Macbook for the moment. There's too many things happening, and by the time you get to college anything you buy now will feel outdated (even though it will still be usable). Some of these are;

Nehalem processors (and further generations that will be even faster)
    USB 3
    SSD becoming affordable
    Blu-Ray support
    Even longer battery life (hopefully as a result of using SSD's lower power screens, lower processor consumption)
    A 12-13" MBP (I can dream, can't I?)

18. Netsizzle macrumors newbie

Three years is an eternity in computing terms - get what works best for you now and evaluate your needs 3 yrs from now against what's available then.

19. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Use your MacBook from now through the end of your senior year. Hold onto your money (and save a little on the side). If you set aside, like... $50 a month between now and then you could save up around a couple thousand in addition to whatever you've tucked away already. That way, if you still want a MacBook Air, you can buy a desktop to complement it. If you buy a MacBook Pro, you can invest in some great software.

20. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Don't buy anything because what you have will last you 3 years. Hit the gym in the meantime so you can pick up a macbook pro in a couple years.

21. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, why is it slow for iTunes? I suppose in college I only need it for accessing basic files, surfing, listening to music, word processing, power pointing, spread sheet making, ..

I already have a MacBook now. I need... I want to experiment with Final Cut and Logix studios.

Hmm, when do you think will come?

Good advice, but I can't afford a MacBook Air and a desktop right now...

If I leave my MacBook Pro at home and get a Macbook/Air to school, will I be able to use the space on the MacBook Pro using the Back-To-My-Mac function (If it's off?)

Thanks,
    Rekhyt.

22. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

logic and final cut will work fine on your macbook.

They will work considerably better on your macbook than a macbook air.

Here's a quick rule of thumb. If you aren't sure if you need a macbook pro or a macbook air, then you clearly have no idea what you want or need.

23. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

If you want to experiment now, try it on your macbook. It's certainly faster than the current macbook air...

No idea. No one really knows. But I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be at least a few revisions between now and the time you go to college. It's good to plan ahead. But, IMHO, you should probably be worrying about grades and application essays and community participation to get INTO college before worrying about what computer you want to take there in three years.

If you want a new toy, get a new toy. But don't worry about how it will hold up when you go to college. Besides, if you can't afford two new computers right now (who the hell can, as a high school freshman?) and you have the itch, get one. I'm sure you can save up enough money working the next three years for any computer you want by the time you get to college.

24. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Put...

... the $$ your are going to use on a new :apple: into an interest CD or other savings instrument and DO NOT TOUCH IT for the next three years. Use your current macbook to get you through High School. Then buy the most current model right before you actually go to college.:)